A+ Certification

OMGIMHOROFL

Solid State Member
First off I would like to say hello all, obviously new to the forum and excuse the user name I couldn't in good conscience use something real when I could pick sarcastic irony....

That being said I figured in the programming world somebody could probably help me the most. I actually went through culinary school and this was nowhere near where I intended to be as I had to have back surgery but I have always been good at it and until I can decide between the two I can at least do computers for now. Thus I would like to get my A+ certification which should not pose too much of a threat as I studied for it in the past and would not take much refreshing.

However anyone who is a professional, in your opinion would it be fine to get the certification now since I know the 2006 objectives rather well, or should I wait until the new year and find out what they are changing and just adapt my knowledge to the 2009 objectives?

as far as i know the certification is there.
so whether you took your a+ in 96 and only know about ISA architecture, or you take the A+ in 2009 and have to know SLI ISA PCI XPCI and all the other standards you are still a+ certified...

with this in mind you may as well take it now since you already know the objectives.

on the other hand, if you take it in 2009 you'll know the 2009 objectives which will help when you go to a job.
but... this is personal discipline.
ideally you should be able to take it now and continue self study to keep up with the industry.

(feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about the A+ not expiring).

Thanks for your reply, and I completely agree with the last statement you made. And anyone that does not self study has doomed themselves or unknowingly cast themselves backward with the exams.

Where the industry moves we too must move, so it was my theory that knowing the 2006 objectives is enough to get me the A+ piece of paper but that's all it is if I don't continue to learn on different programming architecture or stick myself solely to windows xp. I think I am going to just take it now and if necessary just take the 2009 objectives in a few years if that piece of paper helps me that much.

(As for the exam expiring according to CompTIA's website you can buy vouchers on there that say expiration dec. 31 - so it looks like new year new test...)

no, what I mean is that you take the exam now, you get to write on CV's that you're A+ certified forever, there is no need to take another A+ exam in the future.

but as I said and like you agreed with, you can't rest on your laurels, and assume that's it. you'll have to move with the industry to stay with your hand in...

basically if you don't continue to study you'll turn up to interview saying I'm a+ certified but not be able to answer any technical questions posed...
(which is why you need to stay studying).

if you take your a+ now with the 2006 syllabus then you;ll be a+ certified, if you then go on to study the 2009 syllabus you'll know the 2009 syllabus (which is good). if you then take a second a+ exam you'll still be a+ certified, just as you were before you took the exam. (which seems kind of pointless).
you may as well save your £100 and not take the second exam that makes you more more qualified than you were before sitting an exam... (since you've already self studied and got the knowledge, and already have the certification from an earlier exam.

as I said in my first post, I think this is how it works, if anyone else knows better

no, what I mean is that you take the exam now, you get to write on CV's that you're A+ certified forever, there is no need to take another A+ exam in the future.

Oh I was not aware of that I figured as exams changed you had to prove it on the A+ whether you like it or not, like a drivers liscence or something. I didn't know it was lifetime. Changes things drastically for me, time to make a call to get that setup :) thank you

Back
Top Bottom