a Big question...

kjman87

Daemon Poster
Well first off id like to say that my first complete computer build yesterday went flawlessly.... first turn on didnt work but thats cause I missed the 4pin mobo power...but after that it went flawlessly and it already had HL-2 and CS-S on it!!

Now onto the bigggg question...

well first my sisters computer lost all of her information...i regained the important stuff...but now im trying to reformatte it..
#1. I got some disks from Hp cause she lost hers, now when i booted from CD it went straight to windows XP home, not Media Center which is what is on the CD... (it went to Home because i used my dell disk to install windows for her...and was going to DL the drivers and install them but...i want her to have media center and stuff cause shes got a TV tuner and stuff soo..)
anyway...that didnt work...
next I took out her HD and put it in my friends computer and did a quick reformat and now when i put the boot disk back in it says NTLDR(something like that) not found...prestt CTRL alt Delete to restart...

I GOT NOTHING...

any help would be amazing!!! (im starting to get angry hahaa i assembled a PC and put windows on it easier than it is to reformat this damn HP m7060n)

TIA

-KJ

are you sure you have the bios set to boot from cd? if it isn't, and you formatted the system, then you'll get that error, NTLDR is Missing means that it can't find the NT loader. This is typical of a corrupted windows. Try manually booting from the cd (most systems are f8 but hps are different) if you can't find the boot menu, try going into the bios to check the boot order. change it so that it's booting from the cd first and then restart. see what happens

Put the Windows XP CD into the computer. When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key. Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows. Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and press the Enter key. You want to copy these two system files from the CD-ROM to the root directory of the primary hard drive.

copy D:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy D:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

Once both of these files have been successfully copied over, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

Then he needs to reinstall Windows XP. Make sure change the boot order to boot of the CD first before the hard drive. Put the XP CD in there and reboot. Make sure there are no other disks in any other drives such as floppy, CD's, etc., just the Windows XP CD. (this part shouldn't matter anyways, if the first boot order is CD-ROM).

I have booted from CD but thats when it says missing NTLDR....i know how to get to tthe boot menu...

im fresh out of ideas...

Is your CD bootable? You will get a missing NTLDR error if it isnt bootable. Are you definately booting from the CD, it will ask you to press any key to boot from CD if you are.

and your booting from an original XP disc, thats bootable? Have ya tried changing the boot order in the BIOS?

Raffaz said:
and your booting from an original XP disc, thats bootable? Have ya tried changing the boot order in the BIOS?

im booting from the recovery disks that HP sent me for her computer, and yes

Back
Top Bottom