98 update problem

ringtemek

Daemon Poster
I always get a windows 98 update error and I can't figure out the problem. Do i have to activate windows 98

I already have xp. I'm just running 98 to see how windows changed over the years. I have a legitamate product key. Do i have to activate windows 98 like xp

Hm..You shouldn't have to activate it. I don't really know for sure. I've loaded '98 maybe 5 times in my life and at least 2 of those were for college...

If you're only doing if for fun, it's not worth the hassle. The updates aren't going to change the actual way it looks/functions anyway.

There is/never has been any sort of Product Activation for Windows 98. Activation started with the release of Windows XP in 2001.

I don't think you can get the updates for Windows 98 via the 'normal' Windows Update link anymore although I'm sure you can download them manually somewhere from Microsoft if the updates are still on their servers. But, it would probably take ages to download and install them all. Plus, there would be lots of reboots involved.

Another alternative is the 'unofficial' Windows 98 Service Pack. This is for Windows 98 Second Edition, not for the original Windows 98.

http://majorgeeks.com/UNOFFICIAL_Windows98_SE_Service_Pack_d4131.html

First I've no experience with 98 but here's my thoughts...

I don't ever remember activating it, but that doesn't mean I didn't or that it doesn't need it.

Did you go right to Microsoft's update site or are you trying to auto-update (if it has auto-update?). Try doing the other one of what you're doing.

Make sure you first update java and flash. Also make sure you have scripting enabled in IE. Try to get at least IE 6 because I'm not sure if Microsoft's site supports anything further back...?

Could you be more specific in the error message?

Back
Top Bottom