96 Jeep Cherokee Ignition Problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikoman69

Daemon Poster
Ive talked with a couple people and its seemed like a wierd problem to them. Heres the story.
Lately, the after sitting for a while the car will start up first turn of the key like normal. Runs great, battery is brand new and alternator holds constantly at 14 volts. If i shut it off, then go to turn the key to turn it right back on after, it wont even try to turn over. If i monkey with the key and constantly turn it a bunch of times, eventually it will turn over. It did it twice today. Started it up this morning, then shut it off to check fluids in the engine real quick then it did it. After siting in the parking lot all day at school, started up like normal after, then at my friends house i shut it off for 2 minutes, and went back and it did it again. Anyone have a clue??

Sounds like ignition switch, or the starter is bad... Does the radio and such come on when you turn the key??? Does the starter make a click or try to engage when trying to start it? Also, could be a bad starter relay or ASD relay, that is if a jeep has an ASD, I know intrepids have them and that can cause a few issues....

There's radio and everything. When i try there is no solenoid clicking or anything. Im not 100% sure if it even clicks on when i turn it, next time it does it i'll have to open the door and listen to see.

Check the relays and the starter it self, if it doesn't engage then replace the relay, they are usualy $3.00 at autozone, can't remember if jeeps use all the same relay or not like an intrepid does, and if that don't help, pull the starter and have Autozone test it, they test them for free.

Also check the 12v wire and grounds for the starter it self, could be corroded up.

Well I know in my 90' Cherokee it had the Renix engine which wouldn't even attempt to start up until it turned over 4-5 times. But in my 99 Grand Cherokee I've had a similar problem where sometimes it would start just fine and others it would take a few turn overs to start up. Turns out I needed a new battery. Though you may have a new battery, you might want to get it checked out. If it's not the battery I would check the starter.

Sounds like the ignition switch or a loose connection to me. If the starter won't even turn at all it's not getting power.

@toxicity: He said that it wouldn't even attempt to turn over.

@superdave1984: Which indicates bad relays, 12v wire going to the starter, or the starter it self is fried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom