7dead in uk after wind

rather scary wind today in Amsterdam.
had to meet a guy for work at lunchtime, i was really stupid and tried to walk as the tram line was down.got about 500m and he phoned to cancel. the wind was too much and i took shelter in a cafe for a beer and watched the tiles being blown off a chinese restaurant. people running for cover!
2hrs later i struggled home and the main street outside my flat looked like a minor warzone. trees,tiles,garbage and overhead cables all over the place.

saw portsmouth and the solent on dutch tv news tonight and it didn't look nice.

root said:
Really big trees that were blown over, like with truncks almost a couple of feet in diameter.
They were probably weakened by previous gales, or very old ones, rotten at the base, my garage is built on to the side of my bungalow, only 4 yards from a row of very old trees, I went out after the recent gales, & was relieved to see that the roof was still intact!!

By the way, I like your new avatar, is that a more recent one of you?

the trouble with the trees is that they are quick growers, planted specifically to make it look like they've been there hundreds of years and to make the lanscaping around the uni look more natural...

but the soil in't all that deep before you hit the stones of the hill so the roots can't penetrate too deep...

the new avatar, that picture was taken at a party two weeks ago, so it's exactly what I look like now...
(the other one was my last holiday 7 months ago).
I thought that since I used to have the darth vader topiary thing as my avatar, and then changed to my face, it'd be nice to combine the two, (notice on the tee shirt there is this picture, (if you remember it was my avatar).
darth.GIF

root said:
the trouble with the trees is that they are quick growers, planted specifically to make it look like they've been there hundreds of years and to make the lanscaping around the uni look more natural...

but the soil in't all that deep before you hit the stones of the hill so the roots can't penetrate too deep...

the new avatar, that picture was taken at a party two weeks ago, so it's exactly what I look like now...
(the other one was my last holiday 7 months ago).
I thought that since I used to have the darth vader topiary thing as my avatar, and then changed to my face, it'd be nice to combine the two, (notice on the tee shirt there is this picture, (if you remember it was my avatar).
darth.GIF
Yep, that avatar is good, what University are you at?, I'd like to get a Google image of it.

root said:
www.bath.ac.uk that's where I work...more specifically, the department is www.bath.ac.uk/health
I don't know why, but I thought you lived & worked in the Midlands, years ago, my wife & I visited Bath, a beautifuy city, that Crescent is amazing! easy to drive into, but hell to get out of, it might have changed by now, but the one-way system then led you all round the northern outskirts, & the traffic!!! horrendous, it took nearly 20 minutes to get out!, but it was well worth the visit, good, quality shops, we lunched at one of oldest restaurants, it had a Roman name, can't think of it, it must have been all of twenty years ago.

no... it's still hell to drive in...

I did used to live and work in the midlands, but that was about two years ago..
(and will hopefully be true again in about 2 months), I currently live in the St Pauls/montpelier area of Bristol.

when I lived in the midlands I came from the same town as 135791, went to the same school as him, but I was a few years above him.
(just noticed that he's not a mod anymore?)

root said:
no... it's still hell to drive in, I did used to live and work in the midlands, but that was about two years ago, (and will hopefully be true again in about 2 months), I currently live in the St Pauls/montpelier area of Bristol,
when I lived in the midlands I came from the same town as 135791, went to the same school as him, but I was a few years above him.
(just noticed that he's not a mod anymore?)
He hasn't been a mod for a long time now, David announced it, saying sort of "ah well, he hadn't posted for a while", strange, :confused: I went to Bristol way way back to look around the Co-op butter factory, probably no longer there, two ton blocks of butter tipped out of a huge machine like a cement mixer twenty feet into a machine that cut it into half pound blocks then wrapped them, the smell of all that butter, *drool*
viaton.gif

Stop moaning.

At least you're not having to live in Scotland. Full of anti-English braindeads, and the only two places worth living in (Glasgow and Edinburgh) are far far too expensive for anyone.

UK31337 said:
Stop moaning, at least you're not having to live in Scotland. Full of anti-English braindeads, and the only two places worth living in (Glasgow and Edinburgh) are far far too expensive for anyone.
I suspect that this is a general comment, & not directed at me, but think on the following; root said he didn't know that 135791 wasn't a mod any more, [see that post] better keep posting, UK, or David might say the same to you, & I would miss you, [devil/holy water comes to mind] your new sig is much better, you are rude & sarcastic, now Mayor of Pyongyang is one of your better ideas, when are you flying out?

Back
Top Bottom