790i Ultra vs FTW

Grantofhell

Fully Optimized
Ok - So, like with every other Nvidia board, there is a revision of the 790i. Both by Evga with practically the same specs. The only difference I can notice is that the 790i Ultra has 1 PCI-E x16 and 2 PCI-E x16 2.0's. and the FTW has 3 x16 2.0's? Are there other technical differences I am unaware of?

EDIT: it also appears to have 1 more USB header, 3 more SATA headers and different RAID modes.

TBH, I see no advantage in going with the 790i over the 780i. There will be no performance increase between DDR2 and DDR3 on an Intel FSB based platform.
The CPU has to pass through the north bridge to communicate with the RAM, therefore, the memory bandwidth is limited to the FSB bandwidth.
For example: Your FSB speed is 324MHz, running the RAM at any higher than 324MHz (648MHz DDR) will not increase bandwidth because it is being bottlenecked by the FSB.

Well, I can knock the multipliers down some bit (6x) and kick the FSB up, too. the FTW has a native 1600Mhz FSB. I'm already set on the Idea of the 790i because I'm selling my DDR2. + DDR3 isn't that much more expensive. I was just looking into the major differences of the Ultra and the FTW which isn't much, actually. I found the FTW has better OC options which is a real plus for me. Vdroop control, 8 phase instead of 6 phase power, like I mentioned, a higher native FSB which would *per say* actually allow a 2Ghz RFSB. Not bad all in all. and for 10 dollars more...why not?

Well, I can knock the multipliers down some bit (6x) and kick the FSB up, too. the FTW has a native 1600Mhz FSB. I'm already set on the Idea of the 790i because I'm selling my DDR2. + DDR3 isn't that much more expensive. I was just looking into the major differences of the Ultra and the FTW which isn't much, actually. I found the FTW has better OC options which is a real plus for me. Vdroop control, 8 phase instead of 6 phase power, like I mentioned, a higher native FSB which would *per say* actually allow a 2Ghz RFSB. Not bad all in all. and for 10 dollars more...why not?
It seems you're buying the board for overclocking. I don't see an SLi setup in your sig so why don't you go with an Intel board such as a P45?

teh,, I'm all about image. If the board has more features than i'll ever need - I'm in. The FTW sounds like an excellent board for what I intend to do, which is SLI'ing a 295. As well as supporting a Yorkfield with excellent overclocking features. Plus other goodies.

Back
Top Bottom