7600GT lockups in cs:source

mystery22

Solid State Member
I've been using a 6800GT for quite some time now, and decided to upgrade to a 7600GT (evga 7600GT 256mb DDR3 P/n:256-p2-n550-t2). I've been playing counter strike source on my 6800 for a while now, without problems. Ever since I had purchased this new card however, my CS:S has been locking up with artifacts and everything else.

In the video, the game has already froze and sometimes there are more artifacts then just those. Notice also they are wiggling a little bit. After maybe 10 more seconds, it'll cut out.It's not overclocked or anything. It doesn't overheat in anyway.

Heres the video link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=6PGyk7eCUGU

My specs:

AMD 3000+ Venice 939 ( on Arctic cooling freezer 64)
Asus A8N5X 939 nForce4
eVGA 7600GT 256MB GDDR3
Geil 1GB ram DDR400
Sound blaster Audigy SE
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 8MB 120GB SATA 1.5
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 8MB 80GB SATA 1.5

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :p

Well when you get one part (in your case the cpu) then isn't as good as another part (in your case the graphics card) your cpu can't keep on with your card so your card will have to lag behind in order for the cpu to get caught up. This results in a decrease in performance which may cause artifacts. If could also be a faulty card (it happens) could of got damaged in shipping or something like that. Try returning it and getting a new one.

mystery22 said:
what do you mean? that my cpu is too slow for my gpu?
Yes, exactly.

Well, when I bought it there was a rebate. I had already sent in the rebate, but when I mailed it out I started having issues. Isn't it against the agreement to try and RMA an item if the rebate has been sent in?

If the card isn't faulty however, would overclocking maybe help my cpu keep up, speed wise.

You still may be able to exchange it for a different card of the same model and manufacturer, you just can't return it

Its not against hte rules to try and get a replacement for a faulty card, even if u get an rebate. As long as u got the serial number and all that good stuff, you're fine.

And I don't think the bottleneck theory is correct. Bottlenecking result in a loss of performance, not lock-ups and freezes. Bottlenecking will result in a card performing at a lesser rate than if it had a better CPU, it wouldn't cause any problems.

So u should send it back to the retailer or wherever u got it and ask for a replacement or repair.

Back
Top Bottom