750i Mobo + BFG 9800 GT = fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PPowerHouseK

Beta member
Hello All,

I am quite new to this forum, so please bare with me. I recently purchased a EVGA 750i Mobo, 4 gigs of OCZ Ram (DDR2), and a wonderful BFG 9800 GT video card. The rig built around that has PSU of 450 W. 250 gig Maxtor HDD, and an intel Q6600 CPU. It all started when i installed all of the hardware for the first time in the case, then fired her up. First post code, 7F (obviously just wanted user input, ie F1) However, there was nothing showing on my monitor. In fact it acted as though it wasn't plugged in. So i reseated the VC, reconnected and restarted, same result. So, me being the type of guy i am, i repeated rebooted. Finally, it showed the bios, pressed F1 and continued, everything SEEMED ok. Performed new windows XP service pack 2 installation just fine. After that install completed i attempted to install the VC drivers via the Cd supplied. Upon installation, about half-way through, the monitor flashes to a black screen with a white underscore in the top left blinking, indefinatly. At this point the computer was no longer restartable, so after waiting at least 30 min, with no change, I pulled and power and tried again. SAME RESULT. So decide perhaps the Bios of the motherboard was out of date as well as the VC driver. :argh:So i downloaded the newest version of both (750i MOBO and 9800GT) drivers and attempt to install the newest VC driver first. Worked! At least i thought, after the install completed and the computer restarted, STILL NO VIDEO OUTPUT! So performed ridiculous reboot ritual, finally got video, then when windows tried to load, FREEZE.So, then I performed the newest bios update and retried, Still freezes at windows and 90% of the time no video. So after attempting one last time just FFS, with no avail, I called them. Yes, BFG tech support hotline. So after the hours on hold, i finally get through to someone who directs me to repeat the entire above process, "just to be sure". So i do. What do ya know? Still freezes! So they tell me they're not sure what could be the problem and for me to just send my card in to have them take a look.

Pardon me for the long story i just wanted to be descriptive so perhaps someone can help.
Also if you require more information, simply ask and ill so my best to supply what I can,

So after all that, Im just about ready to curl into a ball and die.
I would greatly appreciate ANY advice on the two hardware devices.

well do you have another vid card you can try in there? have you got the latest bios for the board? are all the speeds and timings and such running at stock?

Thanks for the replies.
The PSU is a new IMicro with +12V1 16A +12V2 18A.
My other rigs are all older and use the AGP style cards/slots. Unfortunately I don't have any extra PCI or PCI express cards. So I can't even verify if the card works itself.
I also downloaded the latest BIOS via EVGA.com and it still performed the no video malfunction upon boot. However, once i got the video to appear (by repeatedly rebooting) it would get to windows, go halfway through the install then crash. Upon a successful install with the newest VC driver, after the reboot ritual, it freezes right at loading windows. I am in quite the pickle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom