7200RPM drive produces big performance in laptop PCs 2

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
I just upgraded my hard drive from my Compaq V2000 laptop. COming from a Seagate 4200RPM 80GB hard drive, I now have a Hitachi 7200RPM drive with bigger cache. Needless to say, it hauls ass big time. Huge difference and I just loaded the new hard drive with programs. Still running faster than ever. My old hard drive was pretty clean, but took what seems like forever for the I/O to do its work.

So for a quick performance upgrade for laptop users: take a look at the kind of hard drive you have and upgrade it to a speedy 7200 RPM drive if you don't have one. Even from a 5400RPM, I still hear a good performance increase when upgrading to a 7200RPM drive.

I'm still running on 512MB, but the performance is so good now, I don't even think about upgrading the RAM. Had the drive running for about a month now to get an accurate review. I've been working on it constantly since then including now.

Good tip. i've been thinking of getting a laptop, but i never thought of upgrading the HDD speed. thanks for the heads up.

Yes, hard drive speed is a huge bottleneck for the most of us. It's almost like running Desktop performance on a laptop. In the future, I like to upgrade my RAM to 1GB. I'm using DDR PC2700 512MB right now. No need to get faster RAM because it won't do any better since my system supports PC2700. Hard drive and RAM are the two best things to upgrade for laptops.

Back
Top Bottom