7 vs xp?

webber22

In Runtime
Hey all! Should i run xp or 7 for my specs? General use, some light gaming, etc.
maybe some WoW :)

3.4 GHz HT processor
2 GB DDR2 RAM
250 GB HDD (7200 RPM)

any answers appreciated thx!!!

well, 7 is newer and just as good as xp,even better. so, pretty simple answer. but you'll want to make sure all your hardware and peripherals have drivers for win 7.

Personally, if you're going to be doing gaming on it, go with XP. Some games, in my experience, have not worked with Win7 and I'm pretty pissed I blew all that money on Ultimate with little support. :(

You could also do a dual boot if you wanted to, just one idea.

I run a dual boot set up for studio and internet stuff.

I recently installed W7 64 bit Ultimate on the internet install and I love it. Dare I say it, WTH, it's better than XP.

I only play one game and it works fine and even though I can't comment on it's gaming abilities i'm seriously thinking about installing it on my studio install and running my audio software via W7 too.

Personally, if you're going to be doing gaming on it, go with XP. Some games, in my experience, have not worked with Win7 and I'm pretty pissed I blew all that money on Ultimate with little support. :(

I would actually say 7 would be a better choice for gaming. XP DX support only extends to 9.

Yup, XP support ended at DX9.0c. Vista went to DX10, and we all know W7 supports DX11.

If you do decide to go with W7, I would suggest the 64-bit version and getting another 2GB of memory. 4GB is about the sweet spot for gaming and such.

hey whats the difference between 64 bit and 32 bit? Just the 64 bit recognizes more RAM???

Pretty much. 64-bit can handle larger amounts of RAM better which allows for better performance when running multiple programs or memory intensive apps.

Yup, XP support ended at DX9.0c. Vista went to DX10, and we all know W7 supports DX11.

If you do decide to go with W7, I would suggest the 64-bit version and getting another 2GB of memory. 4GB is about the sweet spot for gaming and such.

Vista also supports DX11. I ran the Heaven benchmark on it, tessellation certainly worked.

Back
Top Bottom