5960X build

Sean W.

Fully Optimized
Hey yall,

Time to upgrade my (sig) rig, mostly because I am going to be perusing video editing as a career and I have really been sinking my teeth into Adobe Premiere, a processor that is more up to the task is now required.

Im still waiting on a few parts so It will be a few days until im able to get this whole thing put together, but I couldnt resist to get started today.

Obligatory Specs list:

Case: Rosewill Rise
Mobo: Asus X99-a 2011
CPU: Intel i7 5960X extreme edition 8 cores 16 threads
Ram: Corsair Vengence 16gb 4x4 2400mhz
Graphics card(s): SLI GTX 980's ( waiting on big pascal to upgrade these)
SSD: Samsung 830 128GB boot(OS) + Crucial M4 512GB storage(games) and 4tb NAS
Powersupply: EVGA G2 850W
Cooling:
Alphacool ST30 480 Push/pull Noctua NF-F12
Alphacool ST30 240 Push Noctua NF-F12
Alphacool ST30 120 Push Noctua NF-F12
XSPC D5tank RES
Vari D5 pump
Thermaltake Pacific W1 CPU block
EK Fullcoverage Acetel 980 blocks

The reason I went with the strange choice of a Rosewill Rise case, was because I wanted a thin, but tall case that could fit a 480mm radiator in the front, but still fit between the legs under my desk. There is just over 17" of space between the legs on my desk. I had to mod the case to get a 480mm to fit in the front, but I got it to work and its going to be awesome.

Py8wwFV.png

Anyway, here is a few pics of what Ive done so far. Im actually kind of really excited about the res/pump > 480mm plumbing, im sending the tube behind the mobo tray, up to the top of the case then into the 480mm rad. I really didnt want to be able to see this long eyesore tube go from the bottom to the top of the case, so im really happy the way it worked out, running it behind the mobo tray. I already plumbed this run, if you look closely, you can see the run from res ( tho its not plumbed into the res yet) and it comes out at the top and goes into the 480.

J0gL1ze.jpg

aWB8QG6.jpg

So a little bit of a development, instead of a 128ssd for the os and a 512ssd for games, I got a 1tb Samsung 1tb evo ssd :)

KYqNLa7.jpg

She lives!

Tho, I CANNOT get SLI to work, I dont even have the option to enable SLI in the Nvidia control panel. Both 980s show in GPUZ, and in the device manager, and even in Unigine Heaven it reports the temps of both cards, but I cant enable SLI. The only thing I havent tried is moving the cards around in the PCI express slots because they are watercooled.

When you google " no nvidia sli option " or " cannot enable SLI " or " SLI not working " I have tried everything from those search results. except swapping the cards around.

On a positive note, i was able to overclock my 5960X to 4.6ghz.
screen shot is pre overclocked, just a screen shot showing 16 threads :D
n69DG8H.jpg

I was able to squeeze a little bit more out of my 5960X and got it to 4.7ghz and was able to overclock both my 980s to 1607mhz which gave me this massive 3dfirestrike score of 22,801!

Crazy!

5TW8OnS.jpg

Back
Top Bottom