4x512

Status
Not open for further replies.

woot7800GT

Daemon Poster
Alrighty, I'm thinking about upgrading my RAM sometime... I see some do 4x512 and some do 2x1024. I have 2 DDR slots and 2 DDR2 slots. Is it possible for me to do 4x512? Also, how does this work? Is it like double dual channel or something? I'm kinda confused.

pretty sure you can.... but everything will run at DDR speeds. Probabaly a waste of money just because of that.

I'd go 1024x2 just to keep it simple.

Actually, I almost positive that you have to use EITHER DDR or DDR2, you cannot use both. So in your case, you would have to use 2x1024.

get 2x512 if you dont want to scrap them, but it's better for future upgrades to get 2x1024

hey man if i were you i would go with some dual channel 2 gig kit.. but do they even have that? or is it only dual channel 1 gig? nice pc setup

Well, yeah you can get 2 gig dual channel.
But wait, so can I use 4x512 if I have 2 DDR and 2 DDR2 slots? Can anyone confirm for sure?

You need to confirm for sure by looking in your mobo manual, but I'll put $10 down saying that No, you cannot.

Its like the migration from SDRAM to DDR. K7S5A boards along with a couple others had 4 slots. 2 for SDRAM and 2 for DDR. This was done to "future proof" your system. Same thing applies here. You can use either or, NOT both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom