41,000+ members

I also hate the new ‘social medias'. I guess that makes us all “old school”!

Exactly, people stopped coming to forums like this and instead go to redit or stack exchange to ask questions. or they go to other places so massive that it's all but impossible to know what advice you are getting.

When people stopped coming to friendly forums, they stopped making friends online...
so people didn't come to places like this to talk to friends anymore. - they went to Facebook and talked to people just like them that they grew up with, who largely are going to share the same experiences and viewpoints etc based on that.

(And facebook don't really do the long thought (they make even short thoughts a wall of text.) - the forum format is just a bit stale...

Honestly though, most forums did it to themselves.
Think about this forum, we took away reputation displays...
places like redit embraced this with the karma system.
We never (forum software manufacturers never got round to implementing features to allow post up-votes (with recognition.) or way to sort by recommended best answers etc...

It's not surprise that those places that did invest in those kind of toys have carried on and flourished. (redit, stack exchange etc.) and places that didn't, well didn't...

I see the tides turning the other way now though, people are realising that they want community connection past people they already know. and so the Basic forum is coming back... but i think the platform of choice is discord now rather than going and registering your own domain... - I think it's going to take one big outrage on a platform like that before people want to come back to private hosted forums like this though... (I mean one day a bunch of communities are going to "get lost" or something and people will decide once again that they want to host their own forums...)

Long story short... we don't have any "killer app" or feature to bring people here. - we're just a bunch of old dudes that like computers now.

Exactly, people stopped coming to forums like this and instead go to redit or stack exchange to ask questions. or they go to other places so massive that it's all but impossible to know what advice you are getting.

When people stopped coming to friendly forums, they stopped making friends online...
so people didn't come to places like this to talk to friends anymore. - they went to Facebook and talked to people just like them that they grew up with, who largely are going to share the same experiences and viewpoints etc based on that.

(And facebook don't really do the long thought (they make even short thoughts a wall of text.) - the forum format is just a bit stale...

Honestly though, most forums did it to themselves.
Think about this forum, we took away reputation displays...
places like redit embraced this with the karma system.
We never (forum software manufacturers never got round to implementing features to allow post up-votes (with recognition.) or way to sort by recommended best answers etc...

It's not surprise that those places that did invest in those kind of toys have carried on and flourished. (redit, stack exchange etc.) and places that didn't, well didn't...

I see the tides turning the other way now though, people are realising that they want community connection past people they already know. and so the Basic forum is coming back... but i think the platform of choice is discord now rather than going and registering your own domain... - I think it's going to take one big outrage on a platform like that before people want to come back to private hosted forums like this though... (I mean one day a bunch of communities are going to "get lost" or something and people will decide once again that they want to host their own forums...)

Long story short... we don't have any "killer app" or feature to bring people here. - we're just a bunch of old dudes that like computers now.

I like how you said "long story short" in the end after that essay :lol:

I go on FB daily but hardly post anything. Most people that post are posting selfies of themselves or their food when "checking-in" from the restaurant where they are currently eating. I have no desire to do that. No one actually has any conversations on FB, I tried having a discussion with an acquaintance of mine one day and was told that I have too much time on my hands because I kept replying to what she was saying!

I also go on reddit daily but post even less there because I don't know anybody. I also don't understand the upvoting BS. Someone else posts a picture of their new puppy and they get hundreds of upvotes. I posted a picture of my new puppy and got 5-6 upvotes. It seems you need to somehow be popular on reddit already, then when you post your "followers" all upvote your posts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom