4 x 512mb or 2 x 1gb?

The Amish Kid

Fully Optimized
Im looking to upgrade to 2gb's of memory soon and I was wondering what is better 4 x 512mb or 2 x 1gb? If one choice is better then the other then by how much? Also dont say get 2 x 1gb sticks so you have room to upgrade, I doubt I will ever use more then 2gbs on my current motherboard.

i would guess it depends on the memory......but i would say 2 X 1gb would be better. what memory are you looking at?

512mb DIMMs tend to have lower latencies which means faster memory, so i would go with 4 x 512mb.

That's another way of looking at it. True that smaller size have lesser latency. I think you will still be running dual channel if you use up all 4 RAM slots, not 100% sure. Maybe 2x dual channel? I don't know...

I was mainly thinking about the 4x512 because of the lower latencies. I think though that with having 4x512mb it would run in 2t instead, but if I used 2x1gb that would run in 1t. Not sure the difference between them though.

EDIT: I was hoping to be able to get two sets of this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231035
Only thing is that would be like $50 more the a 2gb kit so I am wondering what would be better.

the difference between them is slightly slower performance with 2T but if u get some decent OCZ 2x1GB ram u can raise the voltage and bring the latency down to probably 2-2-2-5

Yeah but 2gb kits dont usually overclock as well as 1gb kits do they? Which I know that 1gb kit overclocks well but im not sure about a 2gb kit.

Back
Top Bottom