4 pin molex and fan controller question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonie

In Runtime
So I bought the lamptron fc9 fan controller, but when I went to install it I found myself looking at a power cable with the 4 pin molex connectors on it and a manuel telling me I have to hook up all three to the psu.

So, since the amp rating on 18gauge wire is around 11 which means it can handle roughly 200watts on 12v, I assume the connections themselves can handle that as well. And since the fan controller itself can only run 200watts, 4 channels at 50watts each, would I be safe doing a little chop-sue with some adapters from case fans and running the entire controller off one cord from my 1200watt corsair psu?

Basically I am going to solder three molex heads into one femals molex head which I can connect to the three male heads from the controller and the one female head on the cord from my psu.

Also, since the controller only has four channels and my case has 8 fans, haf x, I would like to do the same and maybe run the fans of 1 or 2 channels leaving room for other stuff later down the road. Again, chop-sue soldering some fan connections to run off one channel.

All sound good and safe?

thanks!

You should be able to run it off of a single molex. The 3X 12v power cable looks like it hooks to the controller with only two wires. I have 20+ fans in my system and I'm no where near 200 watts, calculating them up they only pull about 60w. Amps times Volts equals Watts.

yeah the cooler master website said there 200mm fan pulls les than 3.4 watts lol! so 7x3.4= 23.8 watts. so basically I will pull less than 2 amps through these 24 awg wires, I think I am safe. thanks!

Gonna go ahead with the main power plug as well.

And ill just check to see if anything gets warm or not.

ok because I dont wanna make another topic, what do you do when you run out of 1394 and audio connecters on your motherboard? the header on my case is occupying all the slots but I want to instal this 5.25in card reader thing, can I get some adapters that like split the connections into 2 so I can connect both the case header and the card reader?

case: haf x
Mobo: asus z68 deluxe
Card reader: Akasa all in one 2

edit:

Ok one last question, I bought these leds and hooked them up to my psu everything works great, but can I run them through this sound activated switch to make them even cooler? the switch is rated at 12v 700ma I think, and the lights come with a 12v 4 amp power converter. Now I know theres no way these lights pull that many amps, but can this switch handle them?

led:

http://www.amazon.com/Changing-LED-...sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323977770&sr=8-1-spell

switch:

http://www.xoxide.com/cocasoackit.html

if I need to be making seperate topics for these just let me know

thanks!

As for the LEDs, I'm gonna guess that they're hooked up in parallel. That increases the current requirement from the source, so you may well indeed be looking at 3-4 amps. Depends on how much each LED requires to run by itself.

20mA is a fairly standard forward current for an LED, which means 50 will draw 1 amp (or a little less in reality I guess) in a parallel circuit. On a ~16ft length with 10 per ft, that's already 3.2A. So no, I don't think it'd be a good idea to run them through that switch (if it's indeed rated at only 700mA). I mean you could try, you can't break the LEDs by underpowering them after all, but it may not work that well, if at all :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom