4-pin 12V to 3-pin 5V RGB?

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Somehow I totally missed the fact that my new case, Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, uses 3-pin 5V for its RGB connection. I am running an ASRock X570 Extreme4 WiFi board that uses 4-pin 12V as its RGB header. I've done a little digging and found a converter by Deepcool but it specifically says that it will not work with ASRock. I have also found an EZDIY-FAB RGB Converter [https://www.amazon.com/EZDIY-FAB-Converter-Transfer-Splitter-Motherboard/dp/B082KJH2T3/] but know even less about it.

Anyone have any other solutions or suggestions?

There is only one solution - You must use this one, what there was/is used and there is no other way, because 3-pin and 4-pin RGB headers are in no way compatible. You would need a controller to translate between these.
Generally 4-pin is 12V RGB and has a voltage pin for each red, blue, and green, plus one for ground. 3-pin is 5V Addressable RGB (also called ARGB, or DRGB for Digital RGB) and has a 5V “power” pin, a data pin, and a ground pin.
Not only is the voltage different (and not directly compatible) but the way the colors are controlled is very different. The LEDs in a 12V are all connected to the same lines so each and every LED on that strip is always the same color. The 5V Addressable system actually sends a data stream (a bunch of 1’s and 0’s) along the data pin that represents what each individual LED should do. The first line grabs the first bunch of data and passes the rest along to the next LED, and so on.

Attachments

• rgb-fan-headers-2.jpg
    rgb-fan-headers-2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1
There is only one solution - You must use this one, what there was/is used and there is no other way, because 3-pin and 4-pin RGB headers are in no way compatible. You would need a controller to translate between these.
Yeah. I have found the two controllers that I mentioned. I am hoping that maybe someone may know of some others or have one that they have used and can vouch for.
Can you not return that case?
Can? Sure! But I actually like the case. I could just use the onboard controls for the front fans RGB but would prefer to control it from the motherboard.

Well dang. Completely missed that one. Just color me stupid.
Yea ASRock makes no sense in using 2 12v headers instead of 2 ARGB headers. Most people look at the top one and go oh I don't have a 5v header, but really it's just always at the bottom. They should have made 2 ARGB and 1 12v on their X570 refreshed boards.

Back
Top Bottom