3DS L button and right/down directional pad appear to be stuck

Mezmaron

Beta member
Recently my daughter was playing her older brother's 3DS while we await for a replacement top screen to arrive for hers.

While she was playing it, the L button along with the right and down directions on the directional pad began to appear to be sticking. Though I thought it unlikely that it was a physical problem with the buttons seeing as they all went at once, as this system was out of warranty I went ahead and took it apart and verified by powering the unit on with the L button disconnected from the motherboard, and it still appeared to be stuck by the indicator on the top home screen. I also peeled away one of the contacts on the directional pad side and there was no sign of any short. I also unplugged and replugged in all ribbon cables for good measure. Still no change when powering back on.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what this problem could be, since it doesn't seem to be physical? Could it actually be an issue with the bottom touch screen? Cracked motherboard? I tried to get into the recalibration menu by holding L+R+X on powerup, but it just goes to the home screen and then straight to the camera.

Back
Top Bottom