3D Animation Workstation

Maya_Fighter

Beta member
Hey Im new around so I hope you can help me with my question here.
Im trying to make a 3D animation workstation since Im in a 3D animation program but don't want to go to school almost everyday and stay there like 9 to 16 hours a day doing my work. So does anybody have any expertise on making one like suggestions on what I need, what are the best hardware to run my program, what a good price for making a good workstation and all that?? Im learning Softimage, Maya, Photoshop and Discreet Combustion so I hope i can get a answer on this alright thanks people.

I have run 3d Max 3,5, and 6 on a comp as low as:
xp 2200+
nvidia 4200
512 ram

You have to give us a price range or we cant help you best.

I would say about the price range of $1500 to $3000. I know hardware are going to a bit more expensive then that but try to go as close as that price range.

Canadian or american? I am guessin canadian.

I gotta go to sleep now so I will post some specs and prices tommorow.

K here is a a few choices you have if you build your own.

Evga Geforce 6800 GT $386

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ $350

MSI Nforce 3 Mobo $155

2 Stick of Corsair PC3200 DDR RAM $155

Creative Labs Audigy 2 $55

WD 200GB SATA HD $119

NEC Dual Layer DVD Burner $87

Samsung CD Burner $24

Lian Li Case $93

Antec 480W PSU $89

Logitech MX 500 optical mouse $41

Logitech Elite Keyboard $36

Only other thing you need is a monitor. I recommend getting that at a local store: Get one with resolution of atleast 1600x1200 and atleast 19". $200-$300

------------------------------------------------------------------
Total In US $1890
Total in Canadian ~$2500

Hey thanks man really appreciate your help but I have several question though?

-Is Athlon a better choice then Intel P4 because I don't know the difference between these chips?
-I been hearing about hyperthreading for intel, the multiprocessor. Do you think its a good idea for buying those and if so do they have a athlon version?
-What about video capture cards? I think I might need them since my final project involves Demo Reel and I need to capture it on tape or even better DVD. hehe
-What hardware would you buy to make the computer at optimum performance like mean close to the best performance yet the hardware are not the best or the most expensive, but just a smart buy and just enough to make the computer work its best, lets not put price too much of a factor?

Well thats it for now I think sorry this is a bothers you but thanks you if you reply. If anyone else in this forum have any suggestions tips or anything about making a 3D animation workstation, feel free to reply.

Well there was a time when the p4 was king and would totally was the old athlon when its comes to 3d rendering.

But I just checked the benchmarks for severla popular 3d programs the the athlon 64 comes out on top except is barely inched out by 3d max since that is a program that is optimized for the p4.

The athlon is the best chip out there right now. I would go with it. You only need a firewire port for dvi capture. and the soundcard i posted has firewire on it.

Yeah i am learning SoftImage XSI, Photoshop, Avid Express Pro DV, Pinnacle Liquid Edition.... Get this.... it all runs on my simple computer.... P4 2.8 Ram 512 - 200 Gig hard drive x2- Sound Blaster 6.1- 3 Fire wire cards- for dumping from computer, for bring in to computer, and for external hard drive i take back and forth, all at once- AGP 8x 256 mb GeForce FX 5200 card- Total price in american dollars 2 years ago- $1125 with 15 inch LCD-

You know GFX cards don't have that much do to with performace in 3D GFX programs. It's mostly software rendering/based on your processor.

Back
Top Bottom