32-bit Processors computer science question i dont understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishman

Baseband Member
Modern microprocessors are called "32-bit processors" because the memory addresses are 32 bits wide. If each memory address location stores 1 byte of data, what is the maximum amount of memory a 32-bit processor can access?

I believe it is 4 gigs right???

2^32 bytes =4294967296 bytes = 4 gigabytes . If they want you to actually do it you should probably show the math behind it.

I wouldn't say 32-bit processors are necessarily "modern" - we have 64-bit processors all over the market.

though most motherboards right now (even for 64-bit processors) are restricted to 4GB

I believe a "32-bit" processor has a 32-bit address bus, and a 64-bit processor has a 64-bit address bus. As for the external data bus ... ever since the original Pentium, all cpu's have had 64-bit external data buses. So that means the 486DX was the last CPU to have a 32-bit external data bus.

Yes, if the address bus is 32-bits wide, then that means it can address 4gb of RAM.

thanks

Thanks guys. If I run in to any more problems that I need help on I know where to go. I'm taking an 18 page challange exam for cs 10. I already smoked cs12 but I want some "free" units. I know most of what I need to know already but if I need to learn something I'm sure you guys could teach me. Thank you for your help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom