32 bit OS RAM limitation.

Saxon to answer your question Windows XP 32 Bit runs the 5.1 version of hte kernel. Server 2003 runs 5.2 version. While that may not seem like that major it is. XP X64 also runs version 5.2.

The main thing is that the kernel versions do not vary much. But how the coding is done for the OS to work with the kernel. A Server OS is much more stream lined and security oriented. While for a desktop it is more toward function and ease of use.

Cheers,
Mak

im still gonna stick with 32-bit Vista Ultimate until 64-bit becomes standard, like DDR2 is n we are just getting into DDR3. I have a thread stickied about it n an opinion too.

right now, i have 3GBs of DDR2 800 RAM, 1GB HD 3870 x2 = 4GB of RAM limit reached! When i saw that the HD 4870 x2 has 2GBs, i was like NO!! I dont want to upgrade my OS to 64-bit! I still pray that there will be a 1GB HD 4870 x2 lol. But like i have mentioned before, im thinking of skipping to RV800, my card has great potential still.

EDIT:

Apok says that all my RAM is being read, correct? So simply, all my RAM (including VRAM) is and can be used when my computer needs to?

Hello Wildside,

With Vista SP1 it will not read the full amount of RAM that you have. So it will display the full amount just like Apok said. But it will not be utilized.

Cheers,
Mak

What card is it?

The first card as a SIIG SoundWave 7.1 PCI card. It didn't work right, so I returned it.

Then I picked up the Turtle Beach Montego 7.1 PCI card. Got the same results. Then I read the SIIG and TB have the same chipset. Doh! Yet, it says fully supported. Grrr!

Then someone asked if I was 64 or 32 bit... I forgot I installed 64 bit out of curiosity and never went back to 32 bit cause everything worked the same to me. But, alas, I found a solid reason to stick with 32 bit for the time being.

We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Hello Wildside,

With Vista SP1 it will not read the full amount of RAM that you have. So it will display the full amount just like Apok said. But it will not be utilized.

Cheers,
Mak

DANG IT! But i have 3GBs of RAM n 1GB of VRAM. 32-bit reads up to 3.12GBs of RAM excluding VRAM. So technically, only 768VRAM is being read from my graphics card if i have 3GBs of RAM in my mobo?

should i just have 2GBs of RAM instead? I'm not going 64-bit.

Wildside,

If you have SP1 then all the RAM should be read. Only before SP1 did this issue come in with all your RAM not being read correctly.

So if it shows 3.12GB something is off. It is not recognizing all your RAM for some reason. Could be a multitude of things in that case.

I have 3GB of RAM and 1GB of Video RAM as well. Vista only showed 3GB for me. It didnt register the VRAM. So it could be that they have it only read the system RAM not the VRAM now. I am not fully sure. I have not looked into it lately.

Cheers,
Mak

Wildside,

If you have SP1 then all the RAM should be read. Only before SP1 did this issue come in with all your RAM not being read correctly.

So if it shows 3.12GB something is off. It is not recognizing all your RAM for some reason. Could be a multitude of things in that case.

I have 3GB of RAM and 1GB of Video RAM as well. Vista only showed 3GB for me. It didnt register the VRAM. So it could be that they have it only read the system RAM not the VRAM now. I am not fully sure. I have not looked into it lately.

Cheers,
Mak

i thinks it's only the system RAM by the sound of it. I'm now getting second thoughts of upgrading to 64-bit, but i dont want to take the chance because idk how much a difference 64-bit will make compared to 32-bit in gaming.

My mobo is infected n i will see if i can get MSI to fix it or exchange it, but ive been busy with work and school for the past few months, plus my dad wont let me n im on the edge of not caring anymore ill send it in anyway.

EDIT:

found this on microsoft.com, Source:

Various devices in a typical computer require memory-mapped access. This is known as memory-mapped I/O (MMIO). For the MMIO space to be available to 32-bit operating systems, the MMIO space must reside within the first 4 GB of address space.

For example, if you have a video card that has 256 MB of onboard memory, that memory must be mapped within the first 4 GB of address space. If 4 GB of system memory is already installed, part of that address space must be reserved by the graphics memory mapping. Graphics memory mapping overwrites a part of the system memory. These conditions reduce the total amount of system memory that is available to the operating system.

The reduction in available system memory depends on the devices that are installed in the computer. However, to avoid potential driver compatibility issues, the 32-bit versions of Windows Vista limit the total available memory to 3.12 GB. See the "More information" section for information about potential driver compatibility issues.

If a computer has many installed devices, the available memory may be reduced to 3 GB or less. However, the maximum memory available in 32-bit versions of Windows Vista is typically 3.12 GB.

Wildside,

That is pretty much the same thing that is said in the link that i posted in my first post of the thread. ;)

So it could be that you have a driver conflict or something else is going on with the system.

Cheers,
Mak

Vista is the future ,LOL, maybe windows 7. A friend of mine has vista and its a piece of junk, there are so many driver incompatibility's. All i have to say is windows xp 64bit, or windows server 2003, is the way to go for now, wait tell windows 7 comes out, maybe then i'll upgrade.

sorry for my rant, its coming from experience, vista is just not worth it.

i recently upgraded to windows xp pro 64bit due to the limitations of the x86 version. It gave me nothing but trouble, ever since i upgraded to the sli 4gb duel channel memory, that is.

Back
Top Bottom