3 way switch

chara33

Daemon Poster
Hi Guys and Gals, I need some help with 3 way light switches plz. At one point both switches worked correctly until one of the up and down devices broke as it wouldnt stay on 1 option of on or off. I am confused about the wiring. I tried to match the wires the way they came off the switch to no avail. As i have it set up now I can switch it on and off on each individual switch. If i turn it off or on on one switch i can not do the same on the opposite switch as it just stays off.

What can i do to fix/solve this? Hope this makes sense.

this might make more sense.

If the first switch can turn it on, what do you mean by it stays off with the other switch?

Will call them switch one (upstairs) and switch two (downstairs). Say if I turn switch 2 on the light comes on. Then when I go to switch 1 i can turn the light off. If i then went downstairs and turned switch 2 again the light will not switch on unless i go back to switch 1 and turn it on. Vice versa as well.

Hope this clarifies it better. If not, plz let me know.

You might want to have a professional trouble shoot the problem and replace the switch.

Sorry, but i am not paying an electrician $100 per hour for this. That is way too much to pay.

Well, if $100 is too much to hire a professional that is licensed by your state to prevent fire, or death in the long term, then that's your own stupidity IMO.

451xNx3-way-power-at-light.jpg.pagespeed.ic.EtYNnbdsMz.jpg

That above is how they are wired here, there are different ways to wire a "three way switch" though.

Back
Top Bottom