2nd hard drive wont wo...all the sudden

AGray34

Beta member
Alright...all the sudden today, my second hard drive, which primarily I use to back up my files...Wont run with my computer...if it is plugged in....it wont load windows and asks for a system32/hal.dll file....If it is unplugged than everything loads fine. It worked before fine and was hooked up by itself cause my baracuda drive is hooked up seperate, any ideas?

A primary hd is not meant for backup,a secondary or Primary partision is,
Whats the problem again ?
:confused:

sounds like you have an OS on both hhd's since the computer loads windows from the primary drive, i would lose the OS on the second drive...

bluto is right though, if you want to have the second drive just for backup files , you'll need to make separate partions on it depending on what your backing up.

do you own a cd burner? if so why don't you back-up your data on cd's using data disks. if not i could understand you wanting to back-up things on a secondary drive.

i have a dvd burner wich all backups are saved on cd's & dvd's ...so i don't have to worry about space being tooken up on my hhd.

My 2nd hard drive is a hard drive I had laying around that I would just always throw files on to back-up. There is NO OS on the hard drive just simply files...

Thanks

It could be your Boot.ini file that is doing something. But unless you are very very skilled with comps i dont recommend you try to change it.

K if you wish to brave in and change this ini file then here is how to do it.

Type "msconfig" into your run dialog then when it loads up there is a tab that says boot.ini check and make sure that windows xp is the only operating system listed on their. If its isnt then delete the other Os out so XP is the only one present.

Also check and make sure you actually have the file it is talking about.
It should be found in this directory C:\windows\system32\hal.dll

AGray34 said:
Alright...all the sudden today, my second hard drive, which primarily I use to back up my files...Wont run with my computer...if it is plugged in....it wont load windows and asks for a system32/hal.dll file....If it is unplugged than everything loads fine. It worked before fine and was hooked up by itself cause my baracuda drive is hooked up seperate, any ideas?
It worked before fine and was hooked up by itself cause my baracuda drive is hooked up seperate, any ideas?
Please explain ? all the sudden today
Secondary hd's will not ask "system32/hal.dll file...."
It worked before fine and was hooked up by itself
How can you expect this answewed ?
:confused:

Back
Top Bottom