2gb ram>1gb??

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxdeadweightxx

In Runtime
I am considering buying 2gb of ram but I just wanted to know what advantages I would see. Im a gamer so would I notice much of a difference with 2gb of ram?

here are my specs-
amd 3700 2.2ghz
7600gt 256gb
1gb ram

When using a smaller amount of memory than is needed by a game, your CPU has to Ram the Hard Drive (no pun intended) while using PageFile memory to get the additional data that can't fit into the memory. That leads to the stutters and drops in FPS that you see in the chart above. A miserable experience.

Just keep in mind that more RAM only helps you if it's used. Consider a situation in which you have programs that take up 500MB of memory, plus the 256MB that Windows takes up. In such a case, you would get the same performance from 1GB of memory as you would from 2GB. So it does really depend on the programs. Also keep in mind that games take up more memory, the higher you turn up the settings. I believe BF2 takes "only" 400MB at low settings, and over 1.2GB on High.

Oh I totally agree with you. Just giving him a basic idea of how the things works though. Yea, 2GB is a must in gaming these days.

P.S. - Nice sig, lol.

well depends all my are fine with 1 gig only 1 game jumps around during the fisrt 1-2 mins after that is fine battlefield 2, my other games are fine. and infomatic the chart you showed compares 512 to 2 gig. i wont consider 512 mb for any gaming machine today. so 1 gig is fine, stay with that 1 gig until more games come out, that you play, that needs that other 1 gig.

xxdeadweightxx said:
7600gt 256gb

WOW! i didn't even know they made a 256GB version, i looked in froogle, but only foung 256 mb version, could you point me to the right direction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom