290x CF or 780TI SLI for 4K Gaming

Personally I wouldn't bother with mounting a bottom fan. The cooling is more than adequate if you have proper fans in the front and back while having all that heat being blown out the top from your CPU.

On the optical drive, if you really do actually use your drive then just buy a cheap USB external. I haven't used an optical drive in years personally.

I was noticing that with the new driver updates on nvidia the 780ti is almost capable of 4k on its own. I would love to see it paired with acres new 4k gsync monitor

Personally I wouldn't bother with mounting a bottom fan. The cooling is more than adequate if you have proper fans in the front and back while having all that heat being blown out the top from your CPU.

On the optical drive, if you really do actually use your drive then just buy a cheap USB external. I haven't used an optical drive in years personally.

Yeah.. Once I get the case I'll have a look. You are probably right.

Also the mobo went down by £3 and I asked Amazon to price match it since mine wasn't dispatched yet.. They made a mistake and pric matched a 3rd party seller... Saving me £10 instead of the £3 haha.

Back from vacation. Got all my parts. I saved about £50 from products getting cheaper while i was waiting for them to be dispatched.

The only problem is the case. First one was a little faulty (front panel warped/ bending a bit) got my brother to get a replacement. The replacement was worse. Got Amazon to send another one which was meant to be here on Friday 13th (oh god) it never came. Contacted Amazon and Yodel(delivery company) end result = it got lost. Just got Amazon to send another one with next day delivery although i was an hour late to get it by tomorrow... maybe it'll come tomorrow? who knows... If not it will be here by Saturday.

I got a 1TB SSD too.. Samsung EVO.

I might just build it in my current case and transfer it when i get the new case.. Its been a long two weeks and i can't wait any longer.

Quick question. Well two questions.
Its to do with the motherboard and power supply cables.

On the top left of the mobo I have a 8pin(jpwr2) and 4pin(jpwr3) connector. I have the cable for it but the 4pin holes on the cable are hollow and there are no wires connecting to it. Do I need the 4pin jpwr3 one connected?

Second question...
Middle left of the mobo there is a 6pin connector. The only 6pin I have is a pci-e cable. Is that what I'm meant to use?

Motherboard is MSI Z97 xpower and power supply is corsair ax 850

Thanks.

The only power cables you need to plug into the motherboard are the 8pin at the top and the 24pin main ATX connector.

The extra 4 is for LN2 overclocking stability, and the 6pin PCI-E power connector is for PCI-E stability when LN2 overclocking with 4 GPUs.

The only power cables you need to plug into the motherboard are the 8pin at the top and the 24pin main ATX connector.

The extra 4 is for LN2 overclocking stability, and the 6pin PCI-E power connector is for PCI-E stability when LN2 overclocking with 4 GPUs.

Thanks!
Its all up and running except for the corsair water cooler/ fans. Will wait till my 750d case is here.
So far i love it! The 290x dishes out quite a bit of heat.. it kind of amazed me how hot it gets... can't imagine how the reference cards cope with all that heat.

Tried a two games out on it.. Crysis 2 and Metro 2033
I get solid 60 with vsync and 90-130 with it off
and for Metro i get solid 60 with vsync and around 90 with it off

Will try some more games some time tomorrow.. 3am right now >.<

Card is designed for 95c, so reference cards run at 95c. I finally RMA'd my H100 after uh 6 months so when I get that back I'll have it prepped for a 290 if I can ever get one.

Back
Top Bottom