256gb ram?

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
i just looked at Newegg's flyer, and they listed several sets of 256gb of ram. what activity would need that much ram?

I would think the big one would be VM hosts... You can eat a lot of RAM if you have enough CPU to run enough VM's. I am actually bottlenecked due to lack of RAM on one host...

so how much do you think would be the max needed looking forward over the next few years for the most demanding gaming? it sounds like this much will never be needed for even the most intense gamer.

32GB for the next 5 years if that.
I was surprised recently where I tested if I'd need to upgrade my desktop from the current 2x8GB 3600 set, but I barely touch 16GB even when maxing out my usual use cases. It's a shame too, as I was tempted to add a 2x16GB 3600 set to that.

I *might* go for 32GB next year, but I doubt it'll be for need, just peace of mind.

I was surprised recently where I tested if I'd need to upgrade my desktop from the current 2x8GB 3600 set, but I barely touch 16GB even when maxing out my usual use cases. It's a shame too, as I was tempted to add a 2x16GB 3600 set to that.

I *might* go for 32GB next year, but I doubt it'll be for need, just peace of mind.
I'd do it now if you have the means, DRAM prices are about to shoot up again. Was eyeing a 64GB kit of 3600 (32x2) and how it's not 700 bucks anymore and is actually 300.

Back
Top Bottom