2006 computer engineering disaster of the year award?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SPL Tech said:
INTEL! In my opinion... They make good products but their mofo piece of crap heatshink that comes with the Core Two Duo processors is so difficult to get on it could make you want to kill yourself. Not only does it take all day to get the POS on it pops back off a few seconds after you think you got it on. Then after playing with it for a day the damm clips break and you are SOL.

Who do you think gets the 2006 computer engineering disaster of the year award?

1. Set heatsink on CPU.

2. Push pins into holes on motherboard.

3. Done.

Besides, your problem with Intel's heatsink pales in comparison to Dell laptops exploding.

I'd say Sony, as well. Reasons are as follows:

One, for poor customer relations. They now are saying, after assuring a update to support 1080i, that they are no longer sure if it is possible to update/flash for 1080i support and will not comment on if they are pursuing this or not anymore (I assume, not). Many may say big deal, but the problem with this is that many older TV's will not display in 720p, only 480p and 1080i so they are screwing those people over.

Two, the problem with DOA systems and DVD drives. Sony, in all their wisdom, tried to pawn this off to the consumer. It LITERALLY took the Asian consumer association (or something like that, forgot what t he news called it) to intervene with threats of litigation before Sony would fess up and replace defective units. Remember the PS1 and its drive problems and how they put the burden of cost on the consumer? I still think that one is in the court system.

Three, the PS3 has NOT lived upto standards what-so-ever, and as far as the graphics are concerned I have stated before and will state again, the PS3 is not about details, it is all about get'n out the jaggies. This is why the 360 looks superior as far as details in game go.

Four, I found this out yesterday and this is how Sony is stretching to sell their bluray. Their game, Resistance: Fall of Man was stated to be true next gen media because it was roughly 22GB in size and to large for either of the other two consoles. Here is the rest of that story. Turns out Sony has a bit invested with said maker of game, AND while it is true that the game is 22 GB in size, what is NOT mentioned is the fact that much of that was fluff code to purposely push it over the DVD9 limits. Yep. Sony is undercutting using business practices that I have NEVER seen so sketchy in my life to not just sell the PS3 but to also win the format wars via misleading technical information.

Here is someones sum of the article...

<html>Resistance: Fall of Man was billed to be the defining game for why Blu-ray exists in the first place. Resistance developers Insomniac stated that the game took up 22GB of space and that all those bits and bytes were necessary to make the game work. It would seem that ripping the disk in Linux shows otherwise.

A NeoGAF forum member by the name of squatingyeti posted a long list of padding files on the Resistance disk; the padding took up approximately 17.75GB of space. Padding is frequently used to push data to the outer edges of the disk to improve read times, but Blu-ray is supposed to be a constant read over the entire disk.
</HTML>

So... in sumation... suck it Sony.

11394.jpg

fan_s775.jpg

02-heatsink_align.jpg

bum said:
Really??? News to me. What'd they waste all their money from PS 1 and 2 on? Seems like Nintendo is the only honest company(by that I mean not totally ripping you off), but unfortunately all the good games go elsewhere.:(

Please... You cannot tell me that Nintendo has no good games... I have a PS2 and Gamecube and play my gamecube 10 times more. The games are so much more fun and better quality. I'm not saying that PS2 didn't have any but come on, you can't say that.

As for the award, Sony easily. I have had to replace Sony products so many times I've lost count. I never buy anything from Sony now. Terrible quality and their PS3 shows it once again!

I've never had a problems with any of my sony products, and no i'm not a fanboy, i'm just saying i've never had a problem with them, never had to return any.

Just about every console on launch has problems, the xbox360 was having overheating problems, some how, and now everyone is raving for them. You never know the Wii, could start having problems. Im not saying they will but they might.

I've been running mine for over a week now and nothing. And the system always stays on because of WiiConnect24. Nintendo build tanks for systems. Had to replace my PS2 controllers 4 times now and I barely play it. Never had to replace a single Nintendo product.

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVRJtqPRZhQ

Not in english but you can still understand it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom