2003 chevy tahoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you need a new speedometer cable. You have to remove the instrument panel as one end of the cable housing goes to the back of the speedometer. The other end of the cable housing is attached to the transmission. Once both ends of the cable housing are detached you pull the actual cable out of the housing from the speedometer side. Installation is fairly easy unless the cable housing has been damaged. You just slide the new cable in and re-attach them and put everything back together.

I had one that quit working and was going to replace the whole cable but when I detached it from the transmission I found the gear on the end of it was bad. It was made of plastic. I just bought a new gear and replaced it and it worked. There was one bolt that held cable into tranny and a c-clip that held the gear on. Simple.

Are any of your other gauges malfunctioning? This is a HIGHLY HIGHLY common failure of the IP (Instrument Panel) in larger GM trucks/suvs. Not a cable, nor a sensor, but the cluster it self, which MUST be serviced at the dealership due to the cluster containing the mileage, digital clusters on GM store it in the cluster, not the body controller or engine controller.

Also, from what I remember, these trucks do NOT use a cable, they use speed sensors located in the transmission, or on the differential.

If GM/Chevy wont do anything for you, look at sending your cluster off to either Technicar or Specmo. (Two companies a GM master mechanic I know recommends, among others. YOU CAN NOT GET A JUNK YARD CLUSTER, IT WILL NOT PROPERLY WORK IN YOUR TRUCK AND VIOLATES SEVERAL LAWS!!!

Code:
Subject: Special Coverage Adjustment - Instrument Panel Cluster Gauge Needle Function #07187 - (09/28/2007) 

Models: 2003-2004 CADILLAC ESCALADE, ESCALADE ESV, ESCALADE EXT 

2003-2004 CHEVROLET AVALANCHE, SILVERADO, SUBURBAN, TAHOE 

2003-2004 GMC SIERRA, YUKON, YUKON XL 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DUE TO PART AVAILABILITY, THIS SPECIAL COVERAGE IS BEING ADMINISTERED IN PHASES. YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED AS EACH ADDITIONAL PHASE IS RELEASED. 

CUSTOMERS ARE BEING INSTRUCTED TO CONTACT THE DEALERSHIP TO ARRANGE AN APPOINTMENT IF THEY BELIEVE THEIR VEHICLE HAS THIS CONDITION. THE CUSTOMER IS BEING ASKED TO PROVIDE THE VIN SO THE IPC CAN BE ORDERED IN ADVANCE OF THE SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT. THIS WILL ELIMINATE THE NEED TO KEEP THE VEHICLE OVERNIGHT. DEALERS ARE TO OBTAIN THE VEHICLE MILEAGE WHEN SCHEDULING A SERVICE APPOINTMENT. THE VEHICLE MILEAGE WILL BE REQUIRED WHEN PLACING AN ORDER FOR THE IPC. 

Condition
Some customers of 2003-2004 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, and Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, and Tahoe; and GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles have reported that one or more of the instrument panel (IP) cluster gauges stick, flutter, or become inoperative. This may cause inaccurate readings, including the speedometer and fuel gauge. 

Special Coverage Adjustment
This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years or 70,000 miles (110,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. 

Dealers are to replace the instrument panel cluster after the condition has been verified. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer. Returned IP clusters will be inspected upon return and replacement of IP clusters that do not exhibit the condition will not be covered. 

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after September 28, 2007 are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to September 28, 2007, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

If it is sporadic, I would check for corrosion at your electrical connections if you can, believe it or not mechanics use weather to help trouble shoot these problems. Such as, was it raining around the time this happened, or did you go through water, and so on.

But yea, check your battery cables, fuses and so on for signs of corrosion.

Will do, now that I really think about it, it happened in the sudden change of cold weather. I was running late for work so I didn't really give it time to warm up. Not a mechanic so not sure if that had anything to do with it lol.

Yea, check for corrosion, seems GM trucks AND cars are very sensitive when it comes to clean power, a bit of corrosion on a cable, or data link connector can throw off just a single gauge in your cluster, also check your VSS and other sensors on the transmission if you feel upto it for corrosion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom