2003 Chevy Tahoe Automatic

Status
Not open for further replies.

techleaner

In Runtime
I hit a big drift last night to the point where the lights went dim for about i say 20 sec. then everything came back up bright as usual, then this morning i put in reverse to back up and it worked jus fine but when i put in drive it is very difficult and you can't even put it in 3rd or 2nd.:confused:

Is it snow packed? Or is my transmission going out? I never had transmission problems before.

Thank you for your time.

Check for packed snow and ice around the shift linkage on the transmission, all autos still have linkage going to them, tell the transmission what's what.

Also, the 3/2/1(L) is NOT what gear you are in, it's putting the transmission into a different set of shift points and a slightly different power band for increased pulling going up hill at a low speed. (NEVER EVER go into those unless your transmission is an auto-stick, or you are first PARKED then can shift, or you WILL ruin the transmission, fast.)

But, I would check the shift cable, at stop 0, its park, stop one is usually R, stop 2 is N, and so on. It is also possible you damaged the linkage, a lot of GM trucks see to have this linkage very close to the bottom of the transmission. Just crawl under, and look for a cable going to it, and try to see if there is packed ice/snow blocking it. Or, if you can, park it in some place warmer and hope its ice and that it melts away.

c0rr0sive pretty much nailed it all right on the head. I had the same issue with my ford expedition after smashing through some drifts. Except that mine would not return to park. Crawled underneath and it was literally blocked by ice and snow pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom