2000 and xp.

Kupo1

Baseband Member
Hey i was wondering Windows XP Pro AND windows 2000 can only be installed how many times and how many computers can they be installed on (seperatly) i want to buy an operating system and i'm trying to figure out wich one would best suit me windpws xp or windows 2000 pro.

It depends on how many computers and how many times you can install please respond fastly would be nice :-D

Thanks in advance.

well first its illegal to install a os on more then one desktop. but you can install the os on a desktop and a laptop only. ok disclaimer is set now the answer
windows xp can be installed and activated 5 times before you have to start calling microsoft for activation. at that point they watch your rate of activation. windows 2000 can be installed on unlimited desktops and does not require activation

QUOTE:

well first its illegal to install a os on more then one desktop. but you can install the os on a desktop and a laptop only. ok disclaimer is set now the answer
windows xp can be installed and activated 5 times before you have to start calling microsoft for activation. at that point they watch your rate of activation. windows 2000 can be installed on unlimited desktops and does not require activation

It is not actually illegal if you have legimate copies of both and u are the license owner, Its called A DUAL BOOT SYSTEM, Anyway thats not illegal ms tell you how to do it,

Happy bday Vegaslon

so for both windows 2000 pro and windows xp pro you can install as many times as you want and on two computers you just need to call microsoft and ge it approved in some cases?

For 2000 Pro, you can install it once; for XP Pro, you can install it once. I don't think Steven exactly understood what Vegaslon said but he was saying you can install an Operating System only once - there are no laws about how many Operating Systems you can install on one PC. Vegaslon was talking about the individual Operating Systems when he was talking about installation. Linvx was not even talking about Dual Booting; so why Vegaslon would be talking about it, when he never said anything about it, is confusing.

Microsoft will not approve you to install one copy of Windows 2000 Pro or XP Pro onto two machines; its not in the licence of any. You'd need a Corportate Licence named to you and the versions you have. That's the Legal Standpoint of course. Technically you can install 2000 Pro as many times you want and nobody will notice. XP Pro will not work if you install it more than once and if you do get around it - you won't be getting any Support on either machine because of Genuine Advantage. Updates are important on a Windows Machine.

Back
Top Bottom