2 Question(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zehlek

Baseband Member
1) - I have an IBM Netvista. I was wondering if it is possible to do a recovery program but be able to keep some files that took forever to d/l? That way my comp can run better like what it is recovered back to factory.

2) - As you may have read under my help topic, I had a worm(Klez) and my AntiVirus had to delete 43 of the files in which most of them were windows files and now I can't check my resources anymore(I have XP PRO). Is there anyway to get back these files without doing a recovery?

P.S. I also have a 3rd one, everytime I start my comp I always get an error called MSBB any idea on what this is and how it can be fixed?

Hmm, let me see if I understand.

You had a Virus, windows files were deleted, and now windows is buggered up.

You want to restore your computer to new so it works again, but dont want to lose files you downloaded.

Or, you dont want to do a recovery and just fix the windows installation you already have.

Well if I am getting this right here ya go:

To repair windows and replace any files that were deleted, boot to the Windows XP CD, and load the setup, when it shows you the partition with your windows installation, chose it and hit R i believe to repair windows, it will delete all the windows files and copy them back, without touching any of YOUR data.

If this doesnt work, you can use your restore cd or just re-install windows, but to save your data you will want to back it up. If the files are large you will need to burn them on to a CD, if you have a burner, use whatever program came with it to burn them. Then run the Format & Re-install.

As far as your last question here is what i've found:

To make a long story short, it came down to spyware - a topic we discussed some weeks ago. The streamingcash.com access is the action of a piece of spyware called SVAPlayer from QuickFlicks. We installed this software when we were checking out another application called WeatherBug. SVAPlayer, which delivers headlines and other "stuff," was an installation option. Little did we realize that SVAPlayer would be so impolite.

The other Web site that was being deviously accessed - bis.180solutions.com - is the goal of a nasty piece of software called msbb.exe (which, despite what you might assume, has nothing to do with Microsoft - it is apparently from a company called Web3000.

Msbb.exe seems to live (at least on our system) in the subdirectory "c:/program files/n-case." We were gifted this piece of spyware by installing a screensaver called "Fireworks" that we downloaded from Galt Technology.

You can check out the rest of the article here.

Not a problem, I live for this stuff!

:cool:

I put the xp disc in, and I'll show you three screenshots, one with what showed up as soon as I put it in, another after I picked Install, and after I picked additional tasks. At anytime I pressed R and nothing happened. Sorry I don't know much about this stuff.

Attachments

• heroes3cdcontents.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 10
can u do that with win 98 se ? just curious. also could u give me step by step instructions on how to go back to the way your system was 3 or 4 days ago, like if i mess something up and i dont know how to fix it , i can go back to the way it was be for i messed it up , i have win 98 se and it is a dell and they have walked me through it before but i dont remember how i did it, i think when windows boots up i hit the delete key or the ctrl key to go into dos and do it there some how. if you know please tell it , sure would save a lot of problems in the future :)

Zehlek said:
I put the xp disc in, and I'll show you three screenshots, one with what showed up as soon as I put it in, another after I picked Install, and after I picked additional tasks. At anytime I pressed R and nothing happened. Sorry I don't know much about this stuff.

What you want to do, is leave the disk in, and reboot your computer, when it says on you screen "press any key to boot from cd" hit something, that will take you to the setup with the repair option.

can u do that with win 98 se ? just curious. also could u give me step by step instructions on how to go back to the way your system was 3 or 4 days ago, like if i mess something up and i dont know how to fix it , i can go back to the way it was be for i messed it up , i have win 98 se and it is a dell and they have walked me through it before but i dont remember how i did it, i think when windows boots up i hit the delete key or the ctrl key to go into dos and do it there some how. if you know please tell it , sure would save a lot of problems in the future

Theres no REAL way to do that in 98, what they are having you do is restore the registry back to an earlier time, not the whole OS like ME and XP do. basically, if you screw up and you start having big problems, just go to a dos prompt and do:

SCANREG [/<option>]

<option>

? Displays usage
BACKUP Backup the registry and related system
configuration files.
RESTORE Choose a backup to restore.
FIX Repair the registry.

Have fun!

€cniv said:
What you want to do, is leave the disk in, and reboot your computer, when it says on you screen "press any key to boot from cd" hit something, that will take you to the setup with the repair option.

I just tried it now, and no options appeared, it just restarted like normal, and i had the disc in. Is there anything else I could try?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom