2 Q: Laptop CPU, Cable/DSL Modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

strategist333

In Runtime
Hey everybody! 2 questions about laptops:

I'm thinking about building a laptop, and I know that the CPU is of great importance to the laptop. I'll mainly be using it for basic programs and some database applications. With that said, which brand of processors (Intel M and any other Intel mobile processors, AMD Turion, or AMD Athlon 64 Mobile) is better for laptops? Mainly I'm interested about the comparison between Turion and Athlon 64, but I'm not ruling out Intel as an option, considering that many motherboards that I like run Intel only.

Also, I might be upgrading to cable or DSL soon (I use dial-up now), but I don't really know how the connection would work with a laptop. Do I need special equipment to connect my laptop to a normal cable/DSL connection, and will the speed be affected any?

Thanks to all for your help!

First off I would suggest a Intel M processor, supprisingly fast for a laptop processor. They are fairly low temp and out perform alot of desktop processors.

The internet connection is no different from a desktop PC. You just plug it in the back of the computer and bam! internet :) You just need a NIC(Network interface card) where you can plug in the dsl/cable line.

Turion's will be better than Pentium M's, but they are not out for quite a while.

I say the pentium M personally, the Athlon 64 Mobiles consume too much power.

And for DSL, you need a modem (and a rotuer is recomended) to use your connection

DJ-CHRIS said:
Turion's will be better than Pentium M's, but they are not out for quite a while.

I say the pentium M personally, the Athlon 64 Mobiles consume too much power.

I thought Turions were already out? (I saw this advertisment selling laptops with Turion CPUs.) And also, you said that Athlon 64's use too much power; what about Turions? Don't they have AMD PowerNow or something like that?

DJ-CHRIS said:
And for DSL, you need a modem (and a rotuer is recomended) to use your connection

Will most DSL providers provide the modem/router? And what is a router used for?

strategist333 said:
Will most DSL providers provide the modem/router? And what is a router used for?

Not all companies will provide the router but they should provide the modem.

A router is a connection between multiple computers, so say if you have 3 computers that all want to share the internet from your modem , you get a router. So you plug your modem into the router along with the 3 computers. But if your just wanting internet on 1 computer you can plug the modem straight into your computer.

Oh and setting up a network of computers can be a hastle :p

Qwest provides a modem with a wireless router built in, and it works okay. I'd stick with a Pentium-M for your laptop, for all the reasons above.

And also, I'm probably going for more performance than mobility, so battery life is not much of a concern to me (I could always just plug in the power supply and treat the laptop as a desktop if the battery fails).

Wait, so just to clear this up: Turion is/will be better than Pentium M which is better than Athlon 64, in terms of performance, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom