2 hard drives... one jumper...

linnerd40

In Runtime
Recently, I ordered a new 20gig ATA100 hard drive from TigerDirect for $10. Today, I got the hard drive and installed it. But, to my dismay, I only had one jumper (the one that was in the new hard drive). I tried booting with only that one jumper, but neither hard drives were detected. So, my question is: Is there any way to configure 2 hard drives in Master/ Slave setting with only one jumper? If not, where can I get some hard drive jumpers. My hard drives are:
40gig ATA100 MDT (refurbished)
and
new 20gig ATA100 Seagate
Both 5400RPM ( :( )

Thanks for any help!

You will have to set the primary as master, and buy a new jumper, and set the secondary, as slave.

Do you have any other computer parts laying around like another hard drive or a motherboard that might have a jumper? Just snag one from that. All jumpers are the same, you don't need a hard drive jumper.
Or ask a friend if he/she has any laying around somewhere.

If you have both of them connected to the same IDE cable, take off all the jumpers, and the one at the end of the IDE cable will be the master. This is cable select (when no jumpers are present)

Edit: Where'd you get it for $10 :confused:

Thanks Tommy Boy, I keep forgeting that all jumpers are created equal. :) I'll look and see if a friend has a jumper I can use!

MarxSoccer said:
If you have both of them connected to the same IDE cable, take off all the jumpers, and the one at the end of the IDE cable will be the master. This is cable select (when no jumpers are present)
That works? Sweet man! Thanks!!!

I have ran like this for a long time. Cable select if when you have no jumpers. But, some of them is for Single drive only. (Meaning he is alone.)

Cable select is pretty convenient, but sometimes gives me issues. Make sure that the IDE cable is a cable select cable. You can tell by if there is a small hole between the middle and end ports for hard drives. The outside one would be slave, and the inside one would be master.

Some drives work with Cable Select, others don't. Its a setting built into the drive, like Master and Slave.

The Seagate should have a label on top with details.

Back
Top Bottom