1394b question

John H. Power

Solid State Member
I recently purchased a card with two 1394b ports and two USB 2.0 ports. This card came with drivers from a company called ubcore. I bought this to run an external SATA case I have that holds two removable SATA drives. On the back of the case in addition to the 1394a connection and a USB 2.0 connection there are two connections for 1394b. I was assuming one for each drive but now I'm not sure

I have no problem with a USB 2.0 aspect but when I install the ubCore software and use the 1394b connection ( I mean, why would you buy the card and not use it) I can only see one of the two drives. When I do not have the full ubcore driver installation installed, I can see and access both drives. My concern is only that I am taking advantage of the faster transfer speed and do not know how to test that to see if I am getting that transfer speed.

I guess my question is whether or not I need to install the ubcore software in order to take advantage of the 800 speed and also does windows XP Pro supports 1394b natively. I am running service pack two.

The ubcore software appears to also address applications that involve digital video and that is not a concern for me. I just want the fastest possible access to my external SATA drives.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom