100 ft. Ethernet Cable.

Dizzy

Baseband Member
Alright I was told that when you get to about 75-100ft. you'll start getting a weaker signal and should get a booster. I'm going to be running a cable(s) from my modem to my other computer which is 100 feet. So should I get a 75ft. Cat5/booster/25ft. Cat5 cable? Or, if I was to go to a single 100ft. Cat6 cable - which setup would give the cleanest signal?

Alright I was told that when you get to about 75-100ft. you'll start getting a weaker signal and should get a booster. I'm going to be running a cable(s) from my modem to my other computer which is 100 feet. So should I get a 75ft. Cat5/booster/25ft. Cat5 cable? Or, if I was to go to a single 100ft. Cat6 cable - which setup would give the cleanest signal?

Eh I doubt only 100ft will be a problem. I personally think you might loose more from the 75ft end > booster > 25ft start part then you would if you just went all the way with the 100ft. But if you think it's best to get the booster. Go 50ft > booster > 50ft.
As for the Cat 6.. It's always better to think towards the future with cabling speaking you will have to rewire it all over again... So I would recommend you do go with cat 6. But that is just a suggestion.

Get the 75 Feet and Booster and stuff it just sounds more reliable and sounds like it would have a stronger signal. ;)

Hmm, so then if I made the option of 50ft/50ft Cat6/booster or just a direct 100ft Cat6 - would you still suggest the 100ft. rather than the booster setup?

Well actually, with regular cat 5, you will start loosing signal after 110 feet... With cat 5e, you start loosing after 130 some feet, with cat 6 you start loosing after like 170 feet... With cat 6e, you get I think 200 feet before you start loosing... I have my two computers running off a 100 foot cat 5e, and I have the quickest latency in my network... Including the computer only 3 feet away from the first router...

The limit is 380 feet on cat-6. Boosters just pump up the noise on the line. If you need to run past 380 it's best to switch to fiber optic cable.

Not a fan of wireless, other than on my iPhone. But cool, sounds like the 100 ft. Cat6 won't be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom