100% cpu usage, cant seem to figure out whats wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm, in my system properties it says Processor 1.6HHz and a Gig of Ram. If that is too slow than wouldn't I have noticed that from the very beginning when I got my laptop about 2 years ago. Using logic if it was fast then it should be fast now. I know that is not a very fast processor, but it has been fine up until about a month ago. I mean I know how many programs I should be able to run without the computer starting to lag.
Fair enough. I can only go off the information im given, and you never mentioned about it being a 1.6ghz processor, and the fact that its been ok in the past so i assumed it had always been like that.:)

windows xp pro sp2 automatic updates are always on.
processor 1.6hz 591MHz
1 gig of ram

You are right though, I didn't mention that the computer ran fine before. I posted on a couple different forums, cause in the other ones I explained how it used to run fine, then about a month ago it started running slow. I just figured I mentioned it in this one, sorry bout that

my computer is running faster than before, however it is not as fast as it should. For instance I just burned a dvd, and it took over 2 hours, It used to take anywhere between 10-20 minutes depending on what was being burned. I am not sure what the problem is. The guy in the other forum said it was probably an issue with windows. I would hate to have to reformate again, I am really getting sick of having to do that every year or so. No matter what I do, what anti virus program I have, what cleanup utility I use, how many times I defrag, and so on It still results in the same......

I cannot believe I am saying this because I am a hardcore PC gal, in fact I hate the idea of a mac, but I gotta say this wouldn't be happening if I had a mac:(

I think there may have been some virus/spyware on the computer, but I have run so many scans and programs I think I got everything cleaned....but I dont know
I am really at a loss as to what I should do, do you guys think its a spyware/virus issue....or do you think its something with windows or maybe a memory dump issue or something like that?

Im not sure what antivirus and spyware programs your running and if they have upto date definitions. I never get problems with spyware or viruses. These are what i use.

NOD32 for Antivirus. Get a 1 month trial here www.eset.com
Webroot spysweeper. Free scan here http://www.webroot.com/consumer/dow...NLOADS&WRSID=e3470f1f453e69ab2a5d89b27a66d326

Also not sure if your doing this, but run all your scans, defrags etc in safe mode, its more efficient that way. And always do deep scans, you have more chance of finding the nasties then.

One more thing, just wondering how big your harddrive is and how much space you have got left?

I used to use Norton system works, then i had trend micro, now i am using the trial version of panda anti virus. Of course they are up to date! :) I usually do run the scans in safe mode, but I will admit I haven't thought of using safe mode when doing the defrags, I will do that from now on. I am almost 100% sure I don't have any viruses, because the last 10 scans I have done(using different scanners) hasn't found anything but some cookies. Plus my computer is running faster, and it is no longer always at 100% cpu usage. At the same time as stated before, burning a dvd took much longer than it should have.

anti virus- Panda
Spyware removal- spybot, adaware, asquared malware...etc. (dont worry I dont run them at the same time) I know that is bad to have multiple virus and spyware programs running at the same time..

PS. I used to use webroot, I had a subscription for a year or so, wasn't to happy with the service, it would often give me useless warnings and was very intrusive.

I will try NOD32

the hard drive is 60 gigs, I have about 15 gigs free, plus I have an external hard drive.

I know I always say this but...

ahhhh! Norton!! Norton is a big ass resourse hog, try and get rid of any norton componants as they suck (in mine and most other peoples opinion) NOD32 should sort you out if you have any bad things, I use that at home and its also the AV the school I work for use. :)

yeah... when I un-installed Norton a few weeks ago I made sure to get rid of all of its components, from previous experiences of my other computers I remember it sometimes being difficult to delete all the little files and folders Norton installs on the computer. In fact, i found last week sometime there was still the Norton recycler folder that I didn't see until I turned on "show hidden files" as soon as I found it, i deleted it.

I got rid of Panda because it actually was making my internet slow. I figured it was part of the whole computer slowness problem, but the second I turned off automatic protection, the internet was running as it should. After your recommendations of getting NOD32. So now that is installed. I gotta say though its not the most user friendly program. being a student at DePaul University in Chicago with a major of human computer interaction its a little stunning to see how rudimentary it is. But you know what thats ok. It doesn't seem to be taking a lot of resources, so thats really all that matters.

The computer is running faster, but I still have a feeling there is something wrong. I don't think it is a spyware or virus issue, but if the computer starts to lag anymore, I think I will reformat the hard drive and re-install windows. Luckily I have an external hard drive so it wont be a problem backing things up.

I am not too happy about taking the files I have now and putting them back on to a fresh clean install of windows, If it is a virus issue that won't solve anything. I know that my music, and movies and documents and stuff like that are virus free, I am 100% sure of that! Being a veteran of the "reformat and re-install windows" I think I have learned a good technique, in terms of only transferring files, and just re installing software. Its a good thing that almost all of the time you can just re-download the software you need.

Do you guys have any tips or forums I can look at that will give me a good step by step process of re-formating, cause I know there are a couple different ways to do it. I would like to do the most complete reformat possible, and not just the basic one.

by the way, you guys have been really helpful with everything. I know you y'all are just helping out in your spare time, and I really appreciate it, thanks again!!:)

Norton is just complete and utter poo poo. Resourse hog and very poor. (in my opinion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom