1 SATA + 2 IDE Drives Troubles

o2pb

Solid State Member
I recently got a 200GB sata drive, and I already had 2 IDE drives. I hooked up the SATA drive and installed the system on it, but in bios it always shows as 4th Master, while my IDE drives show as primary master and slave (because of the jumper settings). SATA drive has no jumpers, and I have no clue how to make it the primary master.

Should I change the jumper settings on the IDE drives to something else? Its got 5 possible positions. Middle being master with slave, 4th being slave and 5th being single master. What are the first 2?

I set both IDE drives to primary slave, and the comp wouldn't boot at all.

Also, for some weird reason, when I load the system on my new SATA drive, it doesn't see my Primary master IDE drive (with a copy of my old system) it only sees my data HD (which is set as Primary slave).

When I booted from the IDE drive it said it found new IDE hardware and was installing it, and then it simple reset itself and now I cant boot from my old IDE hard disk at all.

i was using an ide drive and a sata drive on same system for a while... and my simple advice is dont....

it totally messed my motherboard up.

you have a 200gig sata drive that should give you more than enough space for whatever, id just unplug the ide drives and use it.

if you really have some burning desire to use ide drives as well then maybe someone else can give you some help, but its certainly something i wont be trying again.

Back
Top Bottom