1)How much dya think it is worth 2)Netowrking advice

Very, Very easy. you can just enable filesharing on windows.

With the low specs of that computer, I'd use a linux based system and enjoy the benefits of a higher speed. Linux file servers are easy, as long as they don't have to do anything with active directory :rolleyes:

Linux + Samba + Webmin (Samba is installed on almost all linux distros)

With the low specs of that computer, I'd use a linux based system and enjoy the benefits of a higher speed. Linux file servers are easy, as long as they don't have to do anything with active directory :rolleyes:

Linux + Samba + Webmin (Samba is installed on almost all linux distros)

Could you give a more precise description on how to do this as i am a bit of a noob when it comes to networking . I can set up a home network with just a router and a few pc's but when it comes to stuff like this i am a bit erm noobish .
Also what size psu do you think would be adequate for this cos from what i remember this was a the psu with a noisy ass fan in it and i wanna make the PC as silent as posible seeing as it would be in my room . ALso what other cooling would do . i was thnking one fan at the front blowing air over the HDD's and then another over the back blowing air out the rear as being an OEM comp the cooling is very poor indeed

Oh yeah could i still use linux for printer sharing
And is there a way to share a USB scanner across a network

Ok this is a bump and an update at the same time

I am getting the Computer , a monitor 17"afaik , mouse and keyb and maybe the desk all for £30 . I am then going to get rid of the monitor and keyboard mouse on ebay

I also wanted to find out what OS it is running but they arent technicaly minded so they dont know but if i remember corectly it is win 2K or win xp home
Also could you please answer the above questions in my last post ?

yea linux could be used for printer sharing and yea you can share a usb scanner over a network. in linux you just have to worry about drivers

Also how easy would it be to host an email server on this thing and would it bew worthwhile or am i just chatting a load of utter garbage
So heres an update of my plan .
Get the box
Inspect everything and identify any problems
Add the 120Gb segate from my desktop
install whatever OS i decide to use
configure stuff
go round and configure all the other machines to use it

All I know is Exchange server is a very expensive software, and you probably need your own domain name to host an email server.

Yeah dont worry i dont wanna do this now anyhows
Hey DJ-Chris which linux distro should i use then

Just about any standard distro would work, one of the more simple ones is Ubuntu. If you have msn or aim you can add me and I can help you thru setting up a fileserver.

Just about any standard distro would work, one of the more simple ones is Ubuntu. If you have msn or aim you can add me and I can help you thru setting up a fileserver.
Ok i havent got the comp yet but when i do i will add you on MSN , i should be picking it up some time next week
Also would ubuntu serve do as i know a friend who has a copy of that

Back
Top Bottom