System stuttering

lolsashalol

Beta member
Hey guys,

I've been experiencing stuttering on my dell xps 15 laptop for quite some time now and I finally decided to post a thread somewhere to seek help.

Overall, the laptop is working fine, but when I connect a USB/USB-C to ethernet dongle I start experiencing stuttering after an hour or two of using it.

The stutters range impact laptop usability from mild to completely unusable. For example, I could be watching a youtube video and, out of nowhere, it starts stuttering for around 10 seconds and comes back to normal (i.e. video starts chunking and everything sounds like it has a robot filter on it) which then causes audio to desynchronize from the video. Another example is while playing video games - the game fps drops to around 2 for around 10 seconds and ping jumps up to 600-ish, after which it comes back to normal.

Is there any way to fix this problem? I tried running system performance checks provided on the dell website and ran numerous antivirus checks, all of which found that there is nothing wrong with the system.

TL;DR Laptop stutters in videos and games after a few hours of using usb/usb-c to ethernet dongles.

Thank you for your time

Did you recently install update KB4482887 ? Uninstall it if you did
After installing KB4482887, users may notice graphics and mouse performance degradation with desktop gaming when playing certain games (eg: Destiny 2).

Microsoft also confirmed that it is currently working on a way to mitigate these issues and that an update will be provided with an upcoming release which will more than likely come during next week's Patch Tuesday.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-kb4482887-cumulative-update-causing-major-stuttering-in-games/

As far as i am aware, this update came out in March, but I've had those problems for around half a year. But you are probably right, it might be windows 10 that's giving me problems, might try to reinstall it when I have the chance.

Thanks

Is the dongle getting hot? They are built to a price, idk if it's meant to move data for a binge of shows or movie. Why not use wireless or actual ethernet?

Back
Top Bottom