GPU-Based Streaming Now Dropping Frames (GTX 1070 FTW)

The_Rat_Boy

Baseband Member
Greetings!! I am new here and I have a question. I have had my EVGA GTX 1070 FTW Edition card for a while now as an upgrade from a temporary 950ti and have been using it to stream games and record them simultaneously using OBS Studio. I use the NVENC h.264 encoder for it because the games I am playing and streaming aren't usually the most demanding (Dota 2, Overwatch, etc.) and for the longest time upon buying the card I would stream for hours without any dropped frames. In the past few weeks though I have noticed that I will sometimes hit spikes of frames dropping and it is very evident in the stream playback but not the recordings. I will paste below my stream settings and system specs (copied from my youtube):

---System Specs---
CPU: Intel i7-6700k @4GHz
GPU: EVGA GTX 1070
MoBo: GIGABYTE LGA1151 Intel Z170 ATX
RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance @2666Mhz
Case: NZXT S340 Elite Mid-Tower Chassis (flat black)
Storage: 240GB PNY SSD, 1TB Wd Black, 2TB WD Black, 1TB laptop drive internal, and 3 280GB laptop drive
Heat Sink: Thermaltake Riing RGB 240mm Water Cooling

---Peripherals---
Mouse: Steelseries Rival 100 @2000 DPI
Keyboard: Steelseries M500 Mechanical Keyboard
Headset: Steelseries 3H v2 Gaming Headset
Audio Interface: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd Generation
Microphone: MXL 990 Blizzard Limited Edition Condenser Microphone
Monitor: -Main-Acer 24" 1080p Monitor @144Hz 1ms response time (forgot the exact name)
-secondary-Acer 21" 1080p Monitor @60hz 1ms response time (also forgot the exact name)

---OBS Studio Settings For Streaming---
//Output//
-Encoder: NVENC H.264
-Rate Control: CQP
----CQP: 5
-Keyframe Interval: 0 (auto)
-Preset: High Quality
-Profile: High
-Level: 5.1
''2-pass encoding'' enabled
-GPU: 0
-B-Frames: 4

//Audio//
44.1khz, Stereo, 192 bitrate

//Video//
-Base: 1920x1080
-Output: 1920x1080
-Downscale Filter: Lanczos
-FPS: 60

//Advanced//
-Process Priority: Normal
-YUV Color Space: 709
-YUV Color Range: Full

Any other unmentioned settings are at the default, the uploaded videos with intros are from simultaneous recordings which use CBR at 20,000 bitrate, Bluray preset, main profile, and auto level.

Even without recording simultaneously I will still get dropped frames during streaming, usually scattered around during moments with little graphical movement or intensity as well. The dropped frames usually get into the thousands but percentage-wise will eventually bottom out to less that 1% of total frames produced, but is still annoying to have happening throughout the stream as I am planning to do more with it and do not want any problems in the future. If there are any ideas or solutions to this it would be much appreciated!!

***edit: if it matters, the 2TB WD Black is only for recordings and the games run off of the 1TB WD Black. Also, the Upload Bitrate is usually around 5,000 and my internet can handle it.

Last edited:
Ayy thanks for the reply,

I do update them frequently and check every day in the NVidia GeForce Experience panel, the last update was on July 23, 2017 and I just checked for any new updates but nothins new

Most people downscale output to 1280x720 because its less to encode, better performance, and a lot of bandwidth is required to upload 1080@60fps when twitch will still limit what they send to viewers at 3500 unless you're partnered.

You were seriously able to encode 1920x1080 @ 60fps at 5000bps? Link your Twich if you have a VOD i'd love to see that quality for myself. I'm skeptic that its actual 1080..

You're issue seems to be local though because of how you're talking about it...

I recommend using Cobian backup to create a weekly backup of your %appdata%/local/obs directory so any OBS changes can be restored... or if a disk crashes.

You are streaming to Twitch? or Beam?

Last edited:
I aint partnered with twitch but the encoding is at around 5,000Kbps, not the 3,500 as usual, I also stream to both twitch youtube with restream

I aint partnered with twitch but the encoding is at around 5,000Kbps, not the 3,500 as usual, I also stream to both twitch youtube with restream

Well you're sending twitch 5000 but they re-encode down to 3500 when the stream is sent to viewers so you're not really getting what you're giving.

I get they re-encode for 3500 on twitch, i dont think youtube does though so I keep it at the 1080p@60fps with 5,000 although with qbr settings it sets the encoding bitrate automatically and is dynamic. Also my twitch is twitxh.tv/peacemaker8952

Back
Top Bottom