Computer advice

I run two of the Aerocool Shark 120mm fans on a 240mm radiator for my other PC and they are set to pull air through the radiator. Seems to me like they move more air at their lowest speed than the stock fans that came with the CPU cooler push the air through at a similar speed.
That's because you're feeling air without restriction vs with restriction.

I don't quite understand the CPU temperature spikes. It's a completely new concept to me.

I suppose it has to do with how much current the CPU can pull under heavy loads.
It's because these CPUs stock can pull 250W easily, and due to node shrinkages all of this heat is put on very small portions of the IHS. Due to the nature of Intel CPUs this hotspot is in one small place vs AMD CPUs with multiple CCDs utilizing more of the IHS. More heat in smaller surface area leads to temp spikes which is what I was referring to earlier in the thread. That's why I kept saying that you would see the same regardless of AIO or custom loop, and the only difference between the two after initial heat spike is how quickly the system heat soaks over a certain delta.

Not sure if this matters, but while checking out the bios to see all its features I saw where the pump was connected to the CPU1 fan connector which does not have pump beside it and the radiator fans were connected to CPU1 fan connector which does have pump beside it. So I swapped those two around.
Yes should have been that way from the start. Make sure the pump speed is set to 100%.

Oh ok I get it now.

With one I'm feeling air from the fan.

With the other I'm feeling air after it has passed through the radiator.

Oh ok I understand the temp spikes now.

I'll set the pump speed to 100%

With one I'm feeling air from the fan.

With the other I'm feeling air after it has passed through the radiator.
Precisely. Plus, the fans that came with the unit are static pressure fans, so they aren't made to push a ton of air anyways. Compared to my shitty 140mm Phanteks RGB fans in my case, these fans at max are rather silent. IMO they're still cheap fans but they get the job done well so I have no intention of swapping them out. On the flip side don't buy the cheaper Phanteks RGB case fans, they die pretty easily. Out of 4 I've had to replace 2 with one of the Noctua fans I had laying around, and one of my wife's died too.

Now if there was room in the case I'd add fans on the other side of the radiator.

I did notice today that youtube creator studio tended to lag playing the stream, however last night it wasn't doing that.

So perhaps it's a youtube issue.

I'm streaming 720p 60 with max fortnite graphics settings and if the PC could send me a message it would be "is that all you got"

I use a program called core temp to monitor the RAM usage, CPU temp and CPU load, however the CPU load doesn't seem to show right as while playing fortnite and streaming it was showing 1%

Last edited:
Question.

The large heatsink near the rear of the motherboard and the smaller heatsink at the top tend to get real warm. I've got two extra fan headers. Is it possible to get a couple small fans to blow air on those heatsinks or is it even necessary?

I like how most fan controls have a graph that allows you to set at what temperature the fans ramp up and the percentage they ramp up to at different temperatures as it allows the fans to remain quiet when at idle, but ramp up for cooling when needed.

I like how most fan controls have a graph that allows you to set at what temperature the fans ramp up and the percentage they ramp up to at different temperatures as it allows the fans to remain quiet when at idle, but ramp up for cooling when needed.
Yea that's been a thing for about a decade now lol.

To control the RGB lighting I have icue, the motherboard control in BIOS and the software for the graphics card.

Is there any way to make it to where the colors and speed all sync together?

Back
Top Bottom