Configuring a second router on the same network for ethernet use

RxdRvse

Beta member
So what I wanna do is take one of my old routers and configure it to my current network to use for JUST ethernet. So in short I want that new router to pick up the signal of my main one and then use an ethernet cable on the second one to plug into my device for a wired connection. I dont exactly know how to do this and I cant find very many guides on it that will work for me because I have limited access to the main router. (the reason of this is I'm a child and my father manages the main router with restricted access to the login page; so no device except his can log into the main router) We already do have a second one configured for just ethernet so that's how I know it's possible and we have a spare router that had decent speeds just sitting there so I thought it'd be a good addition to my device to have ethernet (it's a raspberry pi with only an ethernet connection avaliable so that's the point of this) If anyone could help me in this endeavor it would be greatly appreciated, many thanks.

If your looking to do something that your father is preventing you from doing....then call your local Internet Service Provider and order a separate internet service line to your bedroom for your self to buy.

If you don't have access to the main router odds have it he will notice at some point and confront you over it. Best to talk to him about it to get it all configured because yes, it's possible, but it'll show up under DHCP on his side.

If your looking to do something that your father is preventing you from doing....then call your local Internet Service Provider and order a separate internet service line to your bedroom for your self to buy.
cant do that sadly because it'd require asking to use a phone which I just dont wanna do and configuring a second one through ISP alone most likely has a charge on it.

If you don't have access to the main router odds have it he will notice at some point and confront you over it. Best to talk to him about it to get it all configured because yes, it's possible, but it'll show up under DHCP on his side.
yes I know he'd see but he also wouldnt mind. I just wanted to do it independantly because I'm scared of asking

Are you saying you want a wireless bridge? If that is the case, you are going to NEED access to the main router to add the secondary router as the other end of the wireless bridge...

Also, if you father wouldn't mind, then why be scared of asking? No reason to be scared if he doesn't mind, unless you are trying to defeat some form of security scheme he has.

• Disable the DHCP server on this router to prevent IP conflicts or network configuration issues allowing only Router 1 to manage the network.
  • Manually set the IP Address of this router to 1 number higher than the existing main router, for example, if your router IP is 192.168.1.1, set this router to 192.168.1.2. Please make sure this address is out of the 1st router's allotment of addresses for DHCP distribution. If not, please make a DHCP reservation for this router's address in router 1's DHCP table.
  • Set the Internet Gateway of router 2 to router 1's IP address.
  • Connect the two routers using a wired connection from any of ports 1-4 in router 1 to any of ports 1-4 in router 2. You can use a Wireless Media Bridge or Powerline Ethernet Kit to create a wired connection. DO NOT use router 2's WAN port.
  • In the wireless security settings of this router, disable Automatic Channel selection and manually set the channel to channel 8 - or any other channel not being used by the main router or any other router on this network (it is possible to set more than two routers for really large areas).
  • Set up wireless security to be identical in router 2 as it is in router 1.

Regards,
Peter

Back
Top Bottom