upgrade old win7 laptop to 10

cliffhucker

In Runtime
I have a Windows 7 laptop I am trying to upgrade to 10 so i can use it solely for Zwift which now requires Win 10.

I have tried the windows Creation Tool and it will not work. I have tried all the fixes and cannot get it to work.

I have figured out and downloaded an ISO for windows 10.

I am just not sure what to do from here. I am worried if i boot from it and install that i will need an activation code ? Will it recognize my current install of 7 and use that license. ?

thanks

If your laptop has what they call a COA sticker (certificate of authentication) and if the key code on that COA sticker is readable then you can use that key to authenticate your windows 10 install.
Did you burn the windows 10 ,iso to a usb drive or a dvd disk? The creation tool should give you and option to burn the .iso for you. Where did you get this creation tool from...Microsoft?
Windows 10 download link
After you get the .iso burned you may have to access your bios to set the laptop to boot from your device you burned the Windows 10 onto (either a usb or dvd)

If your laptop has what they call a COA sticker (certificate of authentication) and if the key code on that COA sticker is readable then you can use that key to authenticate your windows 10 install.
Did you burn the windows 10 ,iso to a usb drive or a dvd disk? The creation tool should give you and option to burn the .iso for you. Where did you get this creation tool from...Microsoft?
Windows 10 download link
After you get the .iso burned you may have to access your bios to set the laptop to boot from your device you burned the Windows 10 onto (either a usb or dvd)
like i said, the creation tool will not work otherwise i would go that route. The sticker on the bottom of my laptop is not readable, it is worn out.

You may not be able to upgrade with the newer versions of the creation tool. I seem to think that the upgrade option went out the window when support for windows 7 stopped.

You may not be able to upgrade with the newer versions of the creation tool. I seem to think that the upgrade option went out the window when support for windows 7 stopped.
yeah maybe. I burned the ISO to a usb and tried to boot from that but it told me to restart windows then insert the usb. i ran the setup from the usb and it is installing now upgrading from my win7. so far so good.
thanks for replying !

You can upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or a later operating system. This includes upgrading from one release of Windows 10 to later release of Windows 10. Migrating from one edition of Windows 10 to a different edition of the same release is also supported.

Regards,
Rachel Gomez

Back
Top Bottom