got a new computer which needs an external wireless adapter - but internet is slow on it. how do i fix this?

bigdan

Daemon Poster
i'm not very clear on my terminology here, whether "external wireless adapter" is the right term. basically i was given something to plug into the usb drive of the computer in order to connect. so that worked fine at first but the connection kept dropping. so i got a new one from amazon and the connection was consistent but a bit slower. when i did a speedtest the max speed was a pretty good speed, but when i open a new page there's a very noticeable delay.

i've just plugged this wireless adapter into another computer and it connects instantly, so there's an issue with the new computer. when i spoke to the store that sold the computer to me they said something about certain computers cant handle really fast adapters. i didnt really understand that.

anyway. so is there a way to fix this or do i just have to deal with it?

Look, you have this computer and adapter, you can view and touch them, read information about them, and so on, but you don't even tell us their name or brand. How do you imagine someone can give you any help if they really don't know absolutely nothing about the things you have and your actual internet connection.
Even Chief God from heaven cannot give you any real help or advice if he knows absolutely nothing about the situation.
So, if You or whoever other want some help, must begin from giving as much data/info as possible.

^^^^^^^^ Good grief. Anyway if you have a new computer then it should handle a mere wireless adapter without any problems. If it is a standard sized desktop then you would be far better off putting a wireless network adapter in. they come in two flavours, PCI and PCI-E you need to find out which type of slots you have inside the computer. If it's a laptop there cannot be many, if any, laptops that don't come with wireless networking installed these days. the problem with USB adapters is that they can be slow and they are small so the wireless radiation distance can be limited. Unfortunately even the best wireless cards can be severely restricted by walls and furniture etc causing dropouts and slow speeds. Wireless adaptors tend to slow the wireless speeds down if there is a problem with connection. if you want speed go ethernet, although that does have it's limitations as well.

Hi Pete, sorry about the delay in responding, didn't see it earlier. Not sure what's got the previous dude's panties in a bunch.

If it is a standard sized desktop then you would be far better off putting a wireless network adapter in. they come in two flavours, PCI and PCI-E you need to find out which type of slots you have inside the computer.

Yes, standard desktop. Do you know v roughly what the cost of this adapter is and how I'd find out which types of slots I have?

the problem with USB adapters is that they can be slow and they are small so the wireless radiation distance can be limited.

I don't think this is the issue because I took one of the usb adapters and plugged it into my work computer which is even further from the router than the home one, and that's functioning with no issues. There's also no walls in between.

Is it possible there's a problem with the hardware ie that a certain type of USB slot can't handle high speeds of USB adapters?

This is a pic of the different types of PCI slots used in computers.pcie slots differences-1.jpg

The main differences are in the transfer speeds. But as I have said lots of things affect the speed of a wireless connection. To be honest if you have tried your present adapter in another computer and it works okay then that would suggest that there is a problem with the computer that you are trying to use. Don't rely on Windows drivers. 99% of the times they work okay but occasionally drivers supplied by windows can cause problems. If you think that might be a problem then go to the wireless card manufacturer's web site and get the drivers from there.

I have to say that I have not had any particular problems using USB wireless adapters other than the ones I have mentioned. I have always found USB adapters, especially the cheapo ones off Ebay to inherantly slow compared to an internal wireless card.

Just a heads up on that picture. I haven't used a desktop in a few years so there may, now, be even more PCI types.

Your best option would be to run an ethernet wire to the pc from the modem/router. Is this possible if you can move your modem/router into the same room as your pc or even run a line from the existing location to your pc?

i could. i just dont see why thats necessary. there must be some other fix no?

could it be that my motherboard cant handle a certain level of speed / certain speed of wireless adapter? i heard that's a thing.

Back
Top Bottom