Remove BIOS password

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
This sort of a long shot but I figure I would ask. I have been gifted a Lenovo ThinkPad 20ga-001fus. It came from a now defunct company and is definitely a relic. I planned on using it during work trips.

Anyway, I want to wipe and install a fresh copy of Windows but the BIOS is locked and there will be no password forthcoming obviously. I've already tried removing the battery and CMOS battery and even left them disconnected overnight but it still persists.

Any help would be appreciated.

If it's anything like the HP 9480m and 9470m that Lockheed was selling as salvage, then it has a chip on it for persistent bios password, lock, and EFI.

That would be the serial number of the laptop, That link shows different examples of laptop serial numbers.. like 345xxx-xxx
The example for a Insyde H20 bios (Lenovo) is:
Insyde H20 (generic)8 decimal digits03133610

Last edited:
It won't accept my serial number, and the BIOS doesn't give a code after three failed attempts; it just sits there for a minute and shuts down. I may just have to chuck this thing which sucks as it is a hybrid laptop/tablet.

It won't accept my serial number, and the BIOS doesn't give a code after three failed attempts; it just sits there for a minute and shuts down. I may just have to chuck this thing which sucks as it is a hybrid laptop/tablet.
That site may or not be kept up to date. I tried it last night with an older Lenovo laptop and got a code but when I tried to use it on a newer HP I got nothing

Back
Top Bottom