Random Chit Chat

This reminds me of the time my dad upgraded my PC for also doing well in school. I didn't know standoff's were a thing (I was probably 12 or13) and fried the PSU and motherboard the second I tried to turn it on.
I had a customer that did just that and he was 28. Brand new 5900x based system, board dead. He took it back to Microcenter and said it didn't work and exchanged for another board and brought it back to me to install for him. Dude got hella lucky everything else was fine.

I had a customer that did just that and he was 28. Brand new 5900x based system, board dead. He took it back to Microcenter and said it didn't work and exchanged for another board and brought it back to me to install for him. Dude got hella lucky everything else was fine.

That's kinda stupid at that age. Even if you know nothing about PC's it should be kinda obvious to an educated adult that bare metal solder on the back of your mobo touching the case is not good. That said I can think of more than a few people my age or older who wouldn't realise that either.

I always wonder to this day if an expensive PSU would've saved me. Probably not. But it was only a really cheap thing, 20 dollars or something.

also another motherboard thing.. WHY is there still no single cable standard for all those stupid front IO single pin cables for the LEDs and power buttons etc that are a massive PITA to connect.

That's kinda stupid at that age. Even if you know nothing about PC's it should be kinda obvious to an educated adult that bare metal solder on the back of your mobo touching the case is not good. That said I can think of more than a few people my age or older who wouldn't realise that either.
I used to be really bad at seeing things that way, and I did it to the kids quite a bit to the point of getting on to them. I finally had to take the mindset of some people are completely oblivious to things that have no experience in or weren't around. I still think the kids are tards with no common sense but I look at it like if you planted me in front of a sewing machine it'd take me awhile to figure it out but simple stuff wouldn't be so obvious. Or like cooking, wanting a Dr Pepper syrup for my shake but not knowing anything I was trying to find it online. When I read to reduce the soda because I'm not a blithering idiot it made sense but not completely obvious.
Now the kids, our storm door (screen door) has been broken for a while and the first time it broke I took the bottom strut off to close it. The bottom hinge is broken so it doesn't sit level and doesn't latch properly. Well I locked it to keep it closed when it was windy and both kids came up to ask us what to do so they could leave for school. I'm sitting there like bruh. Unlock it? Go through the garage? Go through the backyard?? I was like by the time I was your age I would know enough to fix it let alone use my head to get out of the house.
I always wonder to this day if an expensive PSU would've saved me. Probably not. But it was only a really cheap thing, 20 dollars or something.
Back then we didn't have OCP, short protection etc. Those things are what saved his other components from shorting out but the board immediately grounded before the PSU tripped so it was dead.
also another motherboard thing.. WHY is there still no single cable standard for all those stupid front IO single pin cables for the LEDs and power buttons etc that are a massive PITA to connect.
Some (and I mean like 1 or 2) cases finally have a singular connector for FP. Most of the time I tape or glue mine together if it's a case I'll use for a while.

There are no set standards for mobo's so case manufacture's leave every FP led as a separate connector. Most boards are standard but I have seen some Dell and HP boards that are set up differently for the FP connections

There are no set standards for mobo's so case manufacture's leave every FP led as a separate connector. Most boards are standard but I have seen some Dell and HP boards that are set up differently for the FP connections
Well those are OEMs and honestly they have no excuse because they control the board and the case. AIBs have been standard for at least a decade now.

Maybe it will be a common thing by the time I get my next case... I hope. Honestly I feel like PC cases and motherboards could just be way better integrated and easier to assemble. They could totally just be push fit and clip into place, the CPU/ATX/FP/Fan cables could be hard wired into place within the case and present as fixed connectors that are just lined up nicely so it all connects together when you drop your mobo into place. Probably would not be something many PC builders want but also it would probably be something some would be interested in if they wanted to spec their own PC but didnt care about the intracacies of PC building and just wanted something easy to assemble. Just in general PC's could be a lot easier to assemble.

Maybe it will be a common thing by the time I get my next case... I hope. Honestly I feel like PC cases and motherboards could just be way better integrated and easier to assemble. They could totally just be push fit and clip into place, the CPU/ATX/FP/Fan cables could be hard wired into place within the case and present as fixed connectors that are just lined up nicely so it all connects together when you drop your mobo into place. Probably would not be something many PC builders want but also it would probably be something some would be interested in if they wanted to spec their own PC but didnt care about the intracacies of PC building and just wanted something easy to assemble. Just in general PC's could be a lot easier to assemble.
They don't do this because some tards like to put itx boards in full towers lol.

They don't do this because some tards like to put itx boards in full towers lol.
I've seen HP boards put into standard cases too. I think it is a better option to have case FP connectors the way they currently are. I have gotten boards before that do supply a standard connector that comes as a separate piece that the FP connectors plug into and then that plugs into the board. I know I have one around here somewhere......but that was a while ago and I can't recall where I put it.

I've seen HP boards put into standard cases too. I think it is a better option to have case FP connectors the way they currently are. I have gotten boards before that do supply a standard connector that comes as a separate piece that the FP connectors plug into and then that plugs into the board. I know I have one around here somewhere......but that was a while ago and I can't recall where I put it.
I know Asus boards were doing that for a while. It's the case manufacturers who need to be doing it.

I don't know what I am going to do with them but I'm not complaining. I used to have a Gelid cooler that I reviewed for Tech-Forums and it was a darn good one. I am currently running a 240mm Silverstone AIO cooler so I highly doubt I will go back to air. At least the ARGB controller can be controlled via motherboard so the remote is not really needed.

Attachments

• Winner.jpg
    Winner.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom