Random Chit Chat

Yea won't happen, there's even articles with excuses why they're so expensive. The only real teething issue with the platform is DDR5 pricing and availability. I'm personally looking at DDR4 boards.

It's probably just incidental but I follow one of the Digital Foundry guys on Twitter and he just built his Z690 and 12900K rig yesterday and is having a bunch of issues. And as much as I do want to upgrade my CPU and stuff, I don't really *need* too. Things pretty much run fine on my PC, the main thing is I want a bigger and faster M2 SSD, and I want a PCIE 5 mobo for when those juicy 14GB/s SSDs come out.

he just built his Z690 and 12900K rig yesterday and is having a bunch of issues.
Like what?
I want a PCIE 5 mobo for when those juicy 14GB/s SSDs come out.
They're coming as at CES Phison announced their new controller but probably not until next year. Honestly I'm ok for now as I typically hold on to my drives for a few years. I'll only consider an upgrade if 2TB+ models are cheap. My server needs bigger/newer cache drives as it is.

Like what?

They're coming as at CES Phison announced their new controller but probably not until next year. Honestly I'm ok for now as I typically hold on to my drives for a few years. I'll only consider an upgrade if 2TB+ models are cheap. My server needs bigger/newer cache drives as it is.

Just not stable with an Asus board: has better luck with MSI: https://twitter.com/dark1x/status/1483097479067447303?s=20

I updated my Nvidia drivers to play God of War the best possible way. Glad the drivers worked.
Yeah, one PS exclusive is out and I'm playing it now.

Yeah, does seem a bit odd. But no such issue when he swapped the board out. Who knows.
With all the techtubers running Hero/Formula/Extreme I'd say if there was a problem we'd hear about it from them first. Not that I care too much what they say, just that they'd be the first to whine about it. I wouldn't cop out your upgrade over some randos.

And for the record, this might be the first time I don't buy ASRock and will go Asus.

With all the techtubers running Hero/Formula/Extreme I'd say if there was a problem we'd hear about it from them first. Not that I care too much what they say, just that they'd be the first to whine about it. I wouldn't cop out your upgrade over some randos.

And for the record, this might be the first time I don't buy ASRock and will go Asus.
I'll admit that I have had issues with ASRock on warranty, they basically ignored my request for an RMA on a 320 board when it was only 2 months old.... but I made another attempt on this same board with only 3 months warranty left and they sent me another board. I still do not know if this board works because I do not have a cpu to check it out with today.

I'll admit that I have had issues with ASRock on warranty, they basically ignored my request for an RMA on a 320 board when it was only 2 months old.... but I made another attempt on this same board with only 3 months warranty left and they sent me another board. I still do not know if this board works because I do not have a cpu to check it out with today.
I started with ASRock because of their rock solid boards and high end features for a cheap cost 10 years ago. My problem lately is their price has creeped up to Asus ROG prices while taking away features I've been utilizing since 2016 like 10Gb built into their enthusiast boards. I've also been recommending their lower end boards for how good they are at a cheap cost but lately their Pro 4 boards have been dropping the ball with really weak VRM. Then a couple weeks ago they made posts about moving forward with NFTs and I just can't support that. They got a lot of social media backlash from casuals and diehards like myself over it. Idk why they dropped Aquantia in favor of Killer and shitty Realtek NICs but their announced Aqua has the latest Marvell chipset at a whopping 1200 when I can just get the Asus Formula with the same thing for a still eye watering 800. I also hated the fact that ALL of their X570 boards had seriously terrible Type-C external connector placement preventing the use of either the top PCI-E slot or the feature with a GPU in that slot. The little things add up. Considering I want to move to Intel for my next upgrade it'll either be an Asus Z690 or wait to see what ASRock does feature wise for Z790 and Raptor Lake later this year (it's just a refresh but components like NICs, USB etc are AIB specific).

Back
Top Bottom