Potentially the longest thread in history...

When cd's came out they were junk sounding! Sound was so bad i didn't switch over till late 1999 on. I still don't like as much as my old cassetes. They are getting bad as they age.
CDs are a thing because they had higher capacity to hold higher quality audio lol. What wasn't great was the electronics plugged into whatever was playing that CD.
They are getting bad as they age.
Most FLAC is still ripped from audio CDs.
Even usb sticks sound all that great.
I'm assuming you meant to say don't sound all that great. The audio will only be as good as the quality it's ripped in and what you play it back with. The flash drive doesn't change the audio quality.

The only good thing about tape and film is the remastering quality is almost limitless unless the physical media is damaged in some way.

Most of mine is cd's anymore. I lost a lot of records and 8 tracks from my first wife. Had started over with cassettes. My second wife was into cd's so i kinda had no chose with that. That and my music collection was dying.

CD's are not considered digital?
What file format are you keeping your audio files onto?
Well yes technically they're digital but in this context CDs would be physical media. By that I'm saying I keep all my music stored on a drive and it's accessible over the net via Plex.

Combination of FLAC, ALAC, OGG, and MP3. Depends on if I ripped it myself, or what I could find the music available in.

Well yes technically they're digital but in this context CDs would be physical media. By that I'm saying I keep all my music stored on a drive and it's accessible over the net via Plex.

Combination of FLAC, ALAC, OGG, and MP3. Depends on if I ripped it myself, or what I could find the music available in.
I hope you're using fiber for your plex server network or the music bits might get corrupted over normal ethernet making your music sound much less detailed.

I hope you're using fiber for your plex server network or the music bits might get corrupted over normal ethernet making your music sound much less detailed.
Going from server to network core is 20Gb fiber. The rest is ethernet. I'm not too worried about any degradation, I mean I'm already at a loss if what I'm listening to is MP3. I'm not that much of an audio snob, especially with music. Lately the only times I play music are when I'm busy doing something so it's background noise, cooking food so it's on the Echo, background noise when company is over, Christmas time, and when I want to listen to a new album from a band I like.

Edit: Forgot to put in the car. Which is just MP3s on an SD card.

Back
Top Bottom