Computer advice

That was an initial application of the paste before I secured everything down. I had pressed it down by hand just to see if the paste covered the whole CPU. I added more to it when I pulled the block off and saw it didn't cover the whole CPU as seen in the photo I took.

I suspect that I overlooked that setting earlier.

The bracket may be useless far as temps go, but I at least feel better that there's not as much pressure on the motherboard.

EDIT:

I changed the voltage setting and here's the numbers with Cinebench running. They look ok now?

System numbers.png

I'll go play some Fortnite now and report back on the performance.

Last edited:
Bingo. That's more like it.

The bracket may be useless far as temps go, but I at least feel better that there's not as much pressure on the motherboard.
The pressure is still on the board. What the bracket does is keeps the CPU substrate from warping in the early days. This was a 12th gen problem, and primarily with people using boards like mine that have LGA1200 holes for older coolers not designed for these platforms. At most what it does is keeps thermal paste from getting on the sides of the CPU.

From what I noticed there is not in my opinion near as much pressure on the board than the stock hold down.

I only tightened all four screws snug.

The stock bracket I had to put a good bit of pressure on the lever to get it where it's supposed to be.

From what I noticed there is not in my opinion near as much pressure on the board than the stock hold down.

I only tightened all four screws snug.

The stock bracket I had to put a good bit of pressure on the lever to get it where it's supposed to be.
That's how they all are and supposed to be. It's to make sure all pins are correctly and evenly sitting on the CPU pads. The socket clamp doesn't put pressure on the motherboard, it puts pressure on the chip itself. The issue, and why the brackets were made, is because the substrate is slightly thinner on 12th gen CPUs. With the off axis pressure from coolers sitting in the 1200 position it caused the CPUs to slightly warp in the center. The bracket was designed to cover more of the CPU substrate to keep it from warping while maintaining the same amount of force for pin contact. The reason it doesn't seem like that much is because you aren't pressing down a level to clamp it. If you think that's bad, try doing a Threadripper build where they legit give you a torque driver in the CPU box because you need to apply an exact amount of pressure to the CPU so the pins make proper contact in the center. It's a LOT of pressure, and you have to follow the numbering scheme they have on the plate.

The second issue this plate resolves that is only applicable to 12th gen, is using the 1200 holes on Z690 boards there is a couple MM deficit in clearance. This causes improper contact with older coolers and thermal issues.

Both problems were corrected with 13th gen, Z790 boards, and updated cooler mounts.

Oh ok.

It just seemed like less pressure screwing the screws down which was very easy to do than pressing down a springy metal lever.

Saw a video on YouTube about liquid cooling and the person mentioned this website.

https://www.ekwb.com/

I looked and it seems like it's real high end liquid cooling stuff.

I priced a custom loop for my PC and it's nearly $900

Also with just a 280mm radiator it does like around 600 watts of cooling.

Not going to spend that much right now.

Saw a video on YouTube about liquid cooling and the person mentioned this website.

https://www.ekwb.com/

I looked and it seems like it's real high end liquid cooling stuff.

I priced a custom loop for my PC and it's nearly $900

Not going to spend that much right now.
Said earlier, EKWB is nothing more than marketing hype. Overpriced average shit. EKWB was the go to for cheap consistent water performance 10 years ago until they became a brand name like Razer. Now they want way too much for average joe shit with flashing LEDs.
Albeit not necessary if you decide to go that route stick with Alphacool parts. They have better rads and cheaper higher flow blocks. Phanteks also makes some decently cheap custom water blocks as well.

More like 250W for a 30mil. An 80mil Alphacool Monsta 360 is good for 400W sustained with low RPM static pressure fans. No 30mil 280 will outdo that.
Generally speaking for 30mil copper rads, each 120mm fan is about 100W worth of cooling give or take. This figure was with DDC pumps though.

Sort of figured they were overpriced.

So if I ever decided to go that route, an Alphacool Monsta 360 with the Phanteks fans I currently have would be a good choice, right?

Main reason I do not go that route is because I'd need a place for a pump and reservoir and I like the clean look of the AIO I currently have.

The following is something I'm curious about.

One other thing I thought of is would there be any benefit to running a 240mm rad on top, a 360mm rad on the front and a 120mm rad on the rear all in series?

That would possibly require one heck of a pump and also it would require a block capable of transferring enough heat fast enough.

The only way I'll go with a custom loop is if some quality manufacturer comes out with a block that can handle the temp spikes the 13th gen intel processors have.

Back
Top Bottom