New dell wont boot w/ ssd but will w/ hdd?

stevethebrain

In Runtime
New dell wont boot w/ ssd but will w/ hdd?

I’m still preferring windows7 over win10-11.

My new to me PC Dell desktopDELL OPTIPLEX 7010 SFF PC i5-3570 won’t boot up w/ my OS SSD but will w/ a old HDD both are windows7.

Initialley w/ SSD I was getting start PXE over IPv4 then later IPv6.

Then no bootable drive ect.

I’ve completed the Dell diagnostics w/in there BIOS & everything was

Working as it should tested w/ SSD.

It took me a while but I resolved these errors among others to get the dell to boot w/ HDD.

I believe the SSD is a win7 64 bit & the HDD is a win7 32bit OS.

Will the Dell 7010 only boot w/ a 32 bit operating sys.?

This is a used ebay deal manufactor date is 03 case has a lable for windows 7, so I was hoping I could continue to use my SSD it has a lot of data I want to retrieve.

Thanks for advice

Did or have you looked in the bios to see if the SSD is the first device to boot? Is the SSD listed in the bios as a recognized device? If not then recheck your cables to the SSD (data And power cables)

Did or have you looked in the bios to see if the SSD is the first device to boot? Is the SSD listed in the bios as a recognized device? If not then recheck your cables to the SSD (data And power cables)
initialley the SSD was the 2nd boot device I moved it up to first, cables are snug.
and all parts passed the diagnoses.

Are you sure that ACHI mode is enabled in BIOS, but not SATA or RAID or IDE? And of course all drivers and controllers must be updated.
If so, there is no obstacle, SSD works in every machine. Another issue is that if you recommend using NVMe, which some mistakenly call them SSDs as well. But it's similar, but still something else, and make sure you have NVMe M.2 and nothing else, of course it's in case if You want use it.
If your BIOS settings are correct, any machine will boot from SSD without any problems and will do so at least 3-5 times faster than if the same machine would boot from HDD.

Personally, I can tell you that I never want to see any HDD either (and no more in my life).And for booting drive I use only NVMe M.2 now, even on old pc-s and even if they don't have UEFI boot.
In Your case, you know that Windows 7 is too oldand usully it needs MBR and boots only in legacy mode, ie from BIOS, but if to make some changes, it will boot also from GPT andin UEFI mode without any problems. How? Lean it yourself, if interested.
But I cannot any way recommend to use no more any Windows 7.
And there is no reasons to use it at all, even if your pc is old.
In future remember, if some electronic system is older than 5 years, it must be available only in museum, because it is ancient (antique).

In Your case, you know that Windows 7 is too oldand usully it needs MBR and boots only in legacy mode, ie from BIOS, but if to make some changes, it will boot also from GPT andin UEFI mode without any problems. How? Lean it yourself, if interested.
In future remember, if some electronic system is older than 5 years, it must be available only in museum, because it is ancient (antique).
This could be a false pretense.
Many peeps still use Windows 98, 2000 Pro and Windows 7 for for older software and it runs older software very well. The only downside is that you should not use these older pc's on line (internet) I still have Windows 2000 Pro on an older laptop for my audio needs and it runs flawlessly.

Are you sure that ACHI mode is enabled in BIOS, but not SATA or RAID or IDE? And of course all drivers and controllers must be updated.
If so, there is no obstacle, SSD works in every machine. Another issue is that if you recommend using NVMe, which some mistakenly call them SSDs as well. But it's similar, but still something else, and make sure you have NVMe M.2 and nothing else, of course it's in case if You want use it.
If your BIOS settings are correct, any machine will boot from SSD without any problems and will do so at least 3-5 times faster than if the same machine would boot from HDD.

Personally, I can tell you that I never want to see any HDD either (and no more in my life).And for booting drive I use only NVMe M.2 now, even on old pc-s and even if they don't have UEFI boot.
in BIOS under sys.config
SATA operation
checked AHCI
disabled=SATA controllers are hidden
ATA=SATA configured for ATA mode
AHCI=SATA configed for AHCI mode

thanks

Could be a difference of HDD installed in Legacy and SSD in UEFI. If it's just data you want to retrieve, I suggest accessing the SSD from within the HDD Win7 install. Once you've grabbed the data you want unplug the HDD and install a fresh copy of 7 to your SSD.

I tryed to boot SSD in both legacy & UEFI result no bootable devices.

yes I've already attempted to retrieve data from SSD as a storage drive can't even retrive data.

this SSD has been partitioned.into 2 drives F.program files which I can open E. data having difficulty opening.

ssd pratictioned.jpg
I hope the F drive isn't corupted
I can open it.

ssd drive f program files.jpg
can't open E drive just the opposite of what wins is saying.
thanks

Last edited:
Looks like that partition may be corrupted and windows will not let you open it without a format.
You can use a *nix distro to open and view the contents of this drive. UBCD has Parted Magic (also a *nix based O.S.) and it is quite easy to access your drive to get the data. There are also several other options to get your data from that partition and I'm sure others will let you know. You'll have to burn the UBCD .iso to a bootable disk or you can also use a USB drive if your pc will allow you to boot that way
They provide a fairly simple guide to help you.
Ultimate Boot Disk Link
Edit: it is also possible that the boot loader is on that partition (a windows thing) and being corrupted it does not boot up. You can attempt to repair the Boot Config file first just to see if that will help
Link:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/advanced-troubleshooting-boot-problems

I suggest that you back up all your data first before you attempt to make any boot repairs

Last edited:
last time I had to recover passwords file from this SSD I retrieved on my TV PC. so I'll try that again and report back.
edit: I should have mentioned this DT PC was purchased w/out OS or OS drive. now I've been seeing this message that the win7 key you typed is invaild (I never typed any win7 key code). didn't think I'd ever see this message since win7 is no longer supported.
the OS drive I'm using is from that Parts LT remember the broken screen LT
thanksno win7 key.jpg

Back
Top Bottom