What You've Just Bought!

All the more reason for you to skip on over to this side of the pond, you wanker. Seriously. With your experience and accent you could get yourself set up quite nicely. You have a background involving logistics, so look at positions with the backend of trucking companies; something you probably never thought about but would be darn solid . In my rough geographical area a couple of larger players would be US Xpress and Covenant Transport, both located in or near Chattanooga (AKA Gig City).

He has devops experience too if I remember correctly. Combine the two, easily 6 figure salary over here.

I would earn significantly more in the US no doubt, but I would also be paying significantly more for healthcare and that kind of thing. I did look at how to get to the US a few years back, and it seems very difficult, apparently they changed the employment rules so US companies can only sponsor foreign workers to come to the US if they can demonstrate there is a lack of skilled people to fill the position within the US. Not sure how true that is in reality.

Though I guess I would remain a UK citizen so if I did need any expensive healthcare I could always jump on a plane back to the UK...

I would earn significantly more in the US no doubt, but I would also be paying significantly more for healthcare and that kind of thing. I did look at how to get to the US a few years back, and it seems very difficult, apparently they changed the employment rules so US companies can only sponsor foreign workers to come to the US if they can demonstrate there is a lack of skilled people to fill the position within the US. Not sure how true that is in reality.

Though I guess I would remain a UK citizen so if I did need any expensive healthcare I could always jump on a plane back to the UK...
All employers of any size will offer health insurance as a benefit. It's not like everyone in the US is paying out of pocket for all of our healthcare. Some people work part time or for minimum wage (or close to it) and don't have that offered as a benefit, but they are the exception and not the rule. I probably do pay more than a "totally free" system but I'm in good shape with a very low copay for doctor visits and preventative care. So don't believe the propaganda you see/hear on the news about the US.

Same goes for violence. Yes, there is violence everywhere there are people (and not just in the US), but the news blows everything out of proportion to fit the current narrative. We don't go around armed to the teeth and have gunfights on Main Street. Most who are carrying you would never know as they are trained and licensed to carry concealed, and those are very few in number. I'm sure there are areas you know not to go into in the UK as they are very dangerous areas; same goes over here.

Yea, depends on who you work for. Company paying good enough wages for your experience would have good benefits, even outside of health. I've racked up over 3 grand worth of bills because of the kids since June and only paid 187 out of pocket.

All employers of any size will offer health insurance as a benefit. It's not like everyone in the US is paying out of pocket for all of our healthcare. Some people work part time or for minimum wage (or close to it) and don't have that offered as a benefit, but they are the exception and not the rule. I probably do pay more than a "totally free" system but I'm in good shape with a very low copay for doctor visits and preventative care. So don't believe the propaganda you see/hear on the news about the US.

Same goes for violence. Yes, there is violence everywhere there are people (and not just in the US), but the news blows everything out of proportion to fit the current narrative. We don't go around armed to the teeth and have gunfights on Main Street. Most who are carrying you would never know as they are trained and licensed to carry concealed, and those are very few in number. I'm sure there are areas you know not to go into in the UK as they are very dangerous areas; same goes over here.

Yea, depends on who you work for. Company paying good enough wages for your experience would have good benefits, even outside of health. I've racked up over 3 grand worth of bills because of the kids since June and only paid 187 out of pocket.

Is it not true that they only cover up to a certain amount though ? e.g. if something terrible happens like Cancer they wont necessarily cover 100% of your treatment ?

I dunno, it still just concerns me a bit, especially as I am diabetic and who knows how much I will need healthcare in the long term. Probably a lot in my later years I guess. Seen some people say you can only go to doctors that are approved by your insurance and so on too ?

Is it not true that they only cover up to a certain amount though ? e.g. if something terrible happens like Cancer they wont necessarily cover 100% of your treatment ?
Really depends on a lot of things.
Seen some people say you can only go to doctors that are approved by your insurance and so on too ?
You can go to whoever, they cover an amount based on out of network or in network. My insurance app will literally find me the closest doctor for a specific thing and I book an appointment through there.

Really depends on a lot of things.

You can go to whoever, they cover an amount based on out of network or in network. My insurance app will literally find me the closest doctor for a specific thing and I book an appointment through there.

Man it sounds annoyingly complicated to be honest. For all the problems with the health service here, it is nice to just turn up wherever you want, get treatment, and leave. Nothing to pay and no paperwork to fill out. Also no horrible spiders here which is the biggest reason of all to not move to the US :ROFLMAO:

For some reason I spent about 3 hours tonight working. Only just stopped at 11:15pm. Sometimes if something during the working day didn't get resolved it plays on my mind, especially if it is code based and I am thinking of solutions in my head. In the end I end up just doing it. Kind of nice to get it out of the way though, and go to bed knowing I don't need to figure it out at work the next day with people hassling me for a resolution asap.

Man it sounds annoyingly complicated to be honest. For all the problems with the health service here, it is nice to just turn up wherever you want, get treatment, and leave. Nothing to pay and no paperwork to fill out. Also no horrible spiders here which is the biggest reason of all to not move to the US :ROFLMAO:

For some reason I spent about 3 hours tonight working. Only just stopped at 11:15pm. Sometimes if something during the working day didn't get resolved it plays on my mind, especially if it is code based and I am thinking of solutions in my head. In the end I end up just doing it. Kind of nice to get it out of the way though, and go to bed knowing I don't need to figure it out at work the next day with people hassling me for a resolution asap.
It's honestly not that bad, the annoying part is definitely requiring appointments or insurance disputes. Somebody from outside the country would find it annoying as shit, but I think the pay grade and general availability of housing/land that doesn't cost a million bucks would make up for it. Especially with your second line, almost nobody here does that kind of shit and they can get paid 6 figures. And like you said, you could retain dual citizenship and for the bigger stuff just head across the pond.

It's honestly not that bad, the annoying part is definitely requiring appointments or insurance disputes. Somebody from outside the country would find it annoying as shit, but I think the pay grade and general availability of housing/land that doesn't cost a million bucks would make up for it. Especially with your second line, almost nobody here does that kind of shit and they can get paid 6 figures. And like you said, you could retain dual citizenship and for the bigger stuff just head across the pond.

The housing and land prices here are definitely disgustingly offensive here. By next year I will basically be earning 2x average wage, and that will let me get a mortgage for a £200,000 house. Chances are it won't even have a driveway / front yard whatsoever and i'll have to park on the street. The house will also be small, probably two rooms downstairs and two upstairs. A person on a good salary relative to average should be able to afford a nice house, but i'll be basically at the bottom end of the market if I want a new build. And any used/old house under about £200k in my area generally looks like it's had squatters in it and you'd get stabbed if you left the house in the dark.

I would probably move to the US if I was a millionaire or something, or could guarantee a huge salary. The gun crime thing honestly doesn't bother me at all, and i'd be able to afford whatever good medical care I want. Nice houses big houses, more options for buying crap (idk if americans realise, but you guys just have a lot more options when it comes to stuff you want to buy). Also one thing I really like about the US is you have a lot of just empty unpopulated because the country is so huge. You can't travel anywhere in the UK and actually find yourself alone for any reasonable amount of time. So yeah, I definitely consider the US a great place to be if you're in a good financial situation. But if you are poor or lower middle class you will likely have a safer/easier time in Europe.

The housing and land prices here are definitely disgustingly offensive here. By next year I will basically be earning 2x average wage, and that will let me get a mortgage for a £200,000 house. Chances are it won't even have a driveway / front yard whatsoever and i'll have to park on the street. The house will also be small, probably two rooms downstairs and two upstairs. A person on a good salary relative to average should be able to afford a nice house, but i'll be basically at the bottom end of the market if I want a new build. And any used/old house under about £200k in my area generally looks like it's had squatters in it and you'd get stabbed if you left the house in the dark.

I would probably move to the US if I was a millionaire or something, or could guarantee a huge salary. The gun crime thing honestly doesn't bother me at all, and i'd be able to afford whatever good medical care I want. Nice houses big houses, more options for buying crap (idk if americans realise, but you guys just have a lot more options when it comes to stuff you want to buy). Also one thing I really like about the US is you have a lot of just empty unpopulated because the country is so huge. You can't travel anywhere in the UK and actually find yourself alone for any reasonable amount of time. So yeah, I definitely consider the US a great place to be if you're in a good financial situation. But if you are poor or lower middle class you will likely have a safer/easier time in Europe.
Well thanks to Biden my wages put me squarely in central middle class and I definitely don't think I'd have an easier time over there, especially with your first line. I can get approved for a 350k conventional loan with an 80k USD salary which even with massively inflated prices in my area will net me a nice 2300sqft 4 or 5 bedroom house in a new residential burb that has 2-5Gb fiber access. On the flip side, if I took that same loan and went back to the country (which I plan to do) it'll net me an acre or more of land with the same square footage mobile home. If I went with a used home a lot of these properties currently being sold even have nice 2-3 car separate garages, concrete foundations, renovated and modernized insides, a fence surrounding the entire property, and some of them even have powered gates for less than 300k. At the current conversion rate 200k will still get you relatively the same albeit not as nice but you'd easily be able to afford to upgrade everything within the next year or two after purchasing. There are many other areas that aren't as inflated as here in terms of the housing market.

I say we send this boy off to Montana!!
A safe place where the cost of living is low. but.... they can and do get some brutal winters. No poisonous spiders. I live in the north east and we do not have and of those nasty spiders, scorpions or poisonous snakes. Your correct this is a large country and many areas are very different. So it much depends on where you want to live. If you should decide to cross the pond, take an extended vacation over here just to check out several areas when you can get some extra cash

Back
Top Bottom